Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towns that have the greatest number of pub closures

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I remember when Strokestown was like one big pub. . . Think there's only a couple of pubs left in it now.

I'd imagine the days of long drinking sessions in the towns of Miltown Malby & Doolan have both been decimated by the virus too.

Probably no harm.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

By the looks of it cost of doing business is a lot cheaper in Spain. This is only an amateur guess but those tiny bars that are no more than a counter top are still financially viable over there.

Also H&S would absolutely freak out here if we were prepping food behind the bar the way I see it done in Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Always nice for a twon or even a village to have a choice of pubs, 2 or three at least. Gives options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah good point about prepping food behind bar. Noticed this also. I'm not sure what extra overheads we have in Ireland, but making money all day increases profits.

One thing about Seville and Spain in general is it has dense population to support such a business and lots of people walking to work in morning will pop in for breakfast, after work on way home have a few tapas or maybe stay late drinking with their apartment just around the corner.

We've few places even in Dublin with comparable density.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The population is a bIg thing. Ireland is very underpopulated compared to the countries we like to compare ourselves to. There are 12 to 12 pubs in Ireland that do quite well but it's a tough market with all the delis and the massive amount of Irish people who need to drive to work.

One thing Irish pubs could do is a better lunch menu. Many have slow cook slow eat menus. Tapas of some sort I think is the way to go some of them lads are in and out so fast they don't even sit down

Overheads have been covered here already. Staff, insurance and alcohol cost way more

Advertisement