Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older people who are intimidated by younger people

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I've been in a similar situation. It's more individuals than age and a certain employment demographic.

I've also been taken under the wing and encouraged as a young fella and that gave me belief in myself (although I was cocky after getting my degree and thought I was the bees knees. Never used anything I learned in college! )

It's very much insecurity and fear of change. Although I don't know the individuals, but I've seen similar.

If they didn't laugh at a joke, meh, could have been crap or inappropriate. But, a lesson I learned from these experiences, is remember how you felt at that time and don't be them when you have seniority. Hope that made sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I don't know. But he probably would have learned quicker if they didn't make it difficult for them. Anytime he asked a specific question they either give a vague answer or try and fudge it by saying "oh you'll get a feel for it, don't worry". I think the reason they weren't like that with me was because they identify with me more. This is what I meant by saying that they seem intimidated by him.

The other day this young guy pointed out something that the older fella was doing that wasn't actually necessary (although it usually would be) and the older fella insisted in doing it anyway. I'd be inclined to think that the older guy knew the younger guy was right but thought he'd get cocky if he admitted he made was a good observation. Just seemed petty. It'd be like if I thought it was 10:00 when it was actually 10:30, and let's say you pointed that out to me. I may as well just admit I got it wrong... it doesn't mean you're going to think you're better than me because of it. It would be petty for me to say "no it's ten o clock" and then run off before you could say anything.

Being intimidated by someone is not related to age. But older people are better a disguising any inadequacies they have; so for that reason, if an older person is intimidated by a younger person it's all the more interesting when compared to younger people being intimidated by an older person!

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ew. No.

Unless they're your boss or you want to ride them. If someone isn't funny, don't encourage them to tell **** jokes.

But what were these jokes anyway?

Do you have any idea what percentage of laughs that are done daily that are fake laughs. Don't be so naive as to think people only laugh because they find something funny.

Hi Brid. Your last post had some interesting topics. I don't thinks it's intimidated by youth, but maybe a case of been there, done that.

The example of the unnecessary step in a process...on this occasion...shortcuts can cause major issues, hence having processes. I'm not saying the younger person is wrong and his idea maybe perfectly valid. Learn the reasoning first.

The other side of that is ideas should be welcome regardless of age or time in the company.

You have mentioned stupidity. Could you explain further please? Are younger people smarter than older people?

@gameoverdude Hi Brid. Your last post had some interesting topics. I don't thinks it's intimidated by youth, but maybe a case of been there, done that.

You're right. Perhaps it's pettiness.

The example of the unnecessary step in a process...on this occasion...shortcuts can cause major issues, hence having processes. I'm not saying the younger person is wrong and his idea maybe perfectly valid. Learn the reasoning first.

It wasn't a short cut. It wouldn't be the sort of thing that there is a process or SOP for. We're given discretion on certain things. The older guy just wasted resources because of his pettiness. In fact yesterday I heard the older guy's buddy (who wasn't there at the time) giving out about the exact same thing the older guy did. The younger guy often makes mistakes too though, but his demand to be seen as the one in charge isn't as important as the older guys.

You have mentioned stupidity. Could you explain further please? Are younger people smarter than older people?

See edited sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think age is the minor part of this, its simply about people being unhelpful, obstructive even. That can happen at any age. For any reason. I've often encountered it where people are protecting their job, and will refuse help as they see it as threat so will make it as difficult as possible for anyone trying to help them. But if you are focused on something (like age) all you will notice is similar examples. its like a dripping tap.

Flinty, I agree with your post.

The words stupidity, pettiness...would get my goat up. I can imagine the eye rolling.

I was trying to be positive Brid. Change is good, but sometimes you have to walk before you can run!

As flinty said "protecting their job", seen it. Waste of time dealing with them jobsworths.

Confidence is great, but do young persons have the whole picture (I'm also looking back at a young me).

There is no excuse for making people feel unwelcome. My job is to encourage and develop talent. But on the flipside I can't abide arrogance. Most people aren't as great as they think.

Edit:To add onto pettiness and stupidy, you also added naivety...I wonder...

@gameoverdude Edit:To add onto pettiness and stupidy, you also added naivety...I wonder...

Hang on now... comments like this that are open to misinterpretation get my goat up. What's the big deal about saying someone is petty anyway? I called Ficheall naive as he/she implied that no normal person would do a courtesy laugh unless they're afraid of, or want to ride the person making the joke. Now if I'm to take that comment literally then he/she would seem naive than facetious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With Boards you have to take the extreme comment from both sides and normal is somewhere in the middle.

Hang on now yourself. You are using all these negative words.

I agreed with you to a certain extent with individuals, not older people as you said. What was the joke that was made?

Experience counts for a lot. Hence increased pay and seniority.

I also said talented young people should be nurtured and made feel welcome. Not any auld bollox they spew should be applauded!

Why don't you say it straight. Who is it you suspect is naive?

Teenagers scare the living sh*t out of me.

You're dragging this out. You used the word naive in a way that was open to misinterpretation.

• Advertisement

Ah here. Part of this is about not laughing at a joke. What was the joke?

Do I think people can be naive when starting out in a career, yep. That doesn't necessarily mean a certain age. I can look at myself and say I am in certain respects. I'm still learning.

Thanks for the pm Brid. Why don't you post the joke on this thread?

Are you going to post the joke on this thread? Maybe I misinterpreted it?

I thought not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement