Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 3891 Memory

Options
  • 25-10-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Looking at a Dell Inspiron 3891, it has a stock memory of the following 8gb, 8gx1 DDR 2666MHZ. Want to increase the ram to help improvement.

It has two slots should I buy the extra memory from Dell OR recommendations for a supplier in for a second 8gb or could I put in a 16gb into the second slot. Or does it need to be an equal amount in each slot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I would not recommend to buy RAM from Dell, it's overpriced for the exact same stick you can buy online.

e.g. 1x8Gb - 105eur on Dell / 30.49eur on AmazonDE

That said, buying 1x 8Gb is not the best for optimal performance, nor would adding 1x 16Gb.

They'll work, but all the RAM won't run at full dual-channel speed.

A matched 2x 8Gb 3200MHz is only 60-65eur and you can sell the DDR4 to CEX or on Adverts.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pauldash007

not sure if the pc could take a 3200MHZ stick , dell says it can only do a 2666mhz memory. The pc comes with 1x 8gb stick and one slot empty.

I am happy to start with the 1 x 8gb stick but now the systems limitations with a single ram slot occupied. It has a 512ssd and 1 tb hard drive and a Ge Force 1650 super card.

so i think upgrading the ram is a quick answer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It can take a 3200MHz stick, it just won't run faster than 2666.

Advertisement