Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Possible, or it could be an absolutely broke mother of 3 who doesn't want to have to resort to a foodbank. Not really worth speculating on tbh, if they're being arsey that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

With regards to Point 2 - Used to be the case with reduced to clear in Tesco years ago too. People pushing and shoving to get bargains.

You always have people like that, it is life. At a point this will get to be a hassle for most people.

Post edited by drogon. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Broke mother has the dignity not to use foodbank, but will take other people's stuff at Aldi. Yeah, right. Decent people don't things like that, no matter how poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Those were two different paragraphs, and f you re-read my post I addressed both points separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

I love getting stickered stuff (why not, well once its not been kicked into the shelves, mad colour etc), but I have seen the carry on around the sections from some people over them. Basic manners like stand and wait till your turn too look doesnt seem too apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got a nice butcher bag for a tenner. Lots of free range chicken

48e of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Never asked for more nor would I. But the shops have been overselling bags they don't have too.

But I take note of the time to make sure I can a get few bags if we need them, and come online when they're due to try to grab it. I guess that makes me a bit of a loser but it also means in weeks when we have a real struggle with money for food, we can get something.

It also means I don't have beg for a loan of some money and I can use up the contents of the bags to throw together meals for the family. That our family of 5 aren't eating just cereal, or beans on toast or chocolate spread sandwiches, rice or pasta, or whatever store cupboard stuff we have for the entire week.

In a bad week, if we can get one, a €10 whelans meat bag mean the that we can eat meat that week. We had very little money the Aldi bags went live and got 4 from the same store over 2 nights because we didn't have enough money to do a big shop. Thankfully the contents meant we only had to spend an extra €10 for the bits to have made up what we needed for the week.

Im a fairly resourceful cook, so there's no waste on our end, plenty can be frozen. Anything that definitely won't get eaten by us (kids are fussy sometimes and hubby has some dietary restrictions) is given to family, friends or neighbors.

(Chocolate chip brown Soda bread bread and butter pudding is lovely btw. The 2 whole chickens we got from Aldi were cooked straight away, the protein content for 7 meals.)

Have to agree, it's also saving us money on our big shop. Lots I didn't buy this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭crayon80

I love your post and your honesty. TGTG started about reducing food waste but there's another huge benefit too in these expensive times. There are definitely a few people (incl lurkers) who'll read what you've said and get a new perspective next time they're at the reduced section. Well done, you're making the best of a bad lot and I hope things improve soon.

Also , i now really want to make choc chip brown bread pudding 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭andydurnin

Can I order on my phone for my sister and then send her a screen shot or something. Would they accept that. She can never order a bag as they are always gone when she try's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Most places ask you to confirm order on phone so you would need to be there.

Give her your login so she can collect. My wife also has my account on her phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I see Sheridan's cheese are now on it. They had a bag available for collection in South Anne St this afternoon but I've to collect my sister from the airport. Raging.

Got a bag today for a fiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aldi tonight, meatballs, turkey lardons, ham, 2 x veg, 2 x bread, hot cross buns

Decent value, though I was hoping for some nice prawns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Aldi tonight (I got box envy as woman before me had a Pizza)

Only the Basil, Avocada and Mango wont be fully used, though my bro the vegetarian might try and and do something

Have to say i stand by how akward it is too get your hands on one (a simple thing like a notification when a saved one comes up would fix that) but that aside its a great idea and hopefully more start to use (and not abuse) the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Has anyone order the Candy Box from TGTG? I would love to try it but don't want to end up with a load of out of date chocolate.

It's a pity you can't read the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

You could try to check Google reviews for details, that's where I left a review for a good place.it is a bit annoying that there's no way to read reviews on the app, and tbh, will usually not bother with a place under 4, unless it's new and then give them a fair go. A few places that were great sadly no longer on the app, maybe 2g2g asks for a subscription after a trial or something

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭barryos1505

Do you go to the cashier in Aldi to collect the bag?

Yes, or just find a staff member on the floor. They know me at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got my first one this week from a local cafe and it was a joke. €3.99 for 2 cookies, 1 Pasteis de Nata (tiny Portuguese custard tart) and a small bottle of juice. While obviously those things would cost more if I was sitting in the cafe to eat, for a surprise takeout bag it was pretty ridiculous. I could have bought those exact things for quite a bit less in the Lidl around the corner. Just seems like bandwagon jumping from a cafe with no real need to get rid of goods at the end of the day.

The next day I got a message from the app, telling me I'd saved the equivalent of hundreds of phone charges. So that makes me feel pretty good about all the times I get 4 iced doughnuts for 50c in Dunnes if I go in at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Quality over quantity.

Lidl will be doing boxes of fruits and veg for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

Really ? Has anyone noticed the hidden shops section .. the thought that there are codes to get hidden shops ...oooh ..got caught yesterday trying to get aldi bag but when they went on sale to when they were to be collected by , I didn't have enough time to get there. Contacted 2g2g and they gave me a voucher. There was a window of about 25 minutes, still lesson learned. And all the ones local to me sold out immediately at 9.45 pm. Ah well.

When are they starting? Will it be on the app or just instore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

That was in this week leaflet - no more details but in shop only, no app needed.

Interesting development. I was seeing this in a lot to their UK stores and was envious.

Keep us updated if you start seeing them instore. I assume timing will be of the essence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Got a whopper bag from Overends Kitchen in Airfield Estate yesterday. Forgot to take a pic before I gave about half of it to my sister but it had:

A box of really good rainbow salad

A chicken foccacia sandwich

4 giant chocolate chip cookies

2 Danishes

2 mini chocolate gateaux

A cinnamon swirl

A giant fruit scone

A giant cheese scone

And a massive loaf of sourdough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There was a big box of mixed fruit available in the Killarney store yesterday about 2.30pm. It was on the floor by the window shelf after you go through the tills. It looked like mostly different types of apples with a few other bits thrown in, big box in fairness probably 40-50 pieces of perfectly good fruit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PublicBen

Managed to get an Aldi box last night. It was awesome, and the girl in the shop even apologised because it was all meat - I’m set up for the foreseeable future. Freezer is overflowing.

18 pork chops

2 half ducks with pancakes

3 packets of cooked ham

1 packet of pate

1 bag of carrots.

(ham and pate not suitable for freezing)

• Advertisement

Went into the 2 in Tralee this morning. One was so bad I left them. The other shop I got this(see below) box, so a win for us but you need to be willing to walk away.

A few dried out lettuces, a wrinkly parsnip and a rotten pepper isn't worth it.

Advertisement