Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lob020

Totally agree,seems like Business`s here just dont get it,Tick boxing exercise pretending to be serious about food wastage.I have used 3 different places and dissapointed each time ,I pass some of these same premises regularly and see bins of bread and other foods being thrown out.My friend in Denmark has has a great experience with all shops offering TGTG,they pack up the bags with all food going to waste,meals,sandwiches ,breads ,pastries etc and lots of variety and certainly dont skimp.Shops here more concerned in ensuring you get no more than advertised vale monetarily ,which is really not the spirit of the whole movement.I wont be buying any more TGTG`s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Reviews are thr for a reason..i would have loved if they gave option to write what people got as well ! Transparency can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

Al's Bakery (Terenure)

2 breaded chicken + 6 pastries

€3.99

The Ruff Cafe (Portobello)

Lentil Soup

Ham and cheese sandwich

Quinoa salad

€3.99 (Surprise Bag)

The Butlers Pantry (Rathgar)

Sourdough

Gluten free Coppa

Egg & Chive sandwich

Falafel salad bowl

2 (delicious) cookies

€4.99

• Advertisement

Life in Motion (Harold's Cross)

3 Berry & Almond Seed Bars

1 slice of Cake

1 slice of Tart

€3.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 LifeasaPigeon

I've tried 4 different places now -

Ana's Café, Rathgar - A chocolate muffin, a pastel de nata custard tart, and two small millionaire shortbread slices. An alright amount of food, the pastel de nata was delicious, but wouldn't say it was the €12 worth advertised.

Up@Brews, Harold's Cross - So much food! Two monstrous sausage rolls, two big pieces of lemon cake, a big brownie and a couple of mini chocolate muffins. Would absolutely get it again.

Café Nero, Hatch Street - A five cheese sandwich, a bean and feta protein pot thing, and a flapjack type slice that I'm still not sure what it was. It was alright, just not to my taste, wouldn't get again. This one was €5 I think.

Bold and Brass Coffee, Dartry - three pastries, but they were gigantic! A chocolate croissant, a chocolate twist and what I think was a cronut. Yummy, but would only get again if I was craving fancier pastries than I'd get in tesco.

Up@brews (Harold's Cross)

1 Chipotle chicken wrap

3 massive sausage rolls

3 oreo brownies

€3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gerlad

I would have been happy with just the sausage rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks fantastic. Am in town tomorrow so just reserved from this place, my first time trying the app so hopefully get a similar deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I collected from Up@brews today based on the great reports from here, and wasn't let down! Got 3 pots of overnight oats, one of those sausage rolls, and a bakewell slice for €3.99

Along with Saltwater Grocery in Terenure, I'd recommend both if you're around the D6 area

yeah I was looking for Saltwater Grocery as I pass through Terenure but its not listed under the 'Collect Tomorrow' tab on the app. So just went with Up@Brews instead as I think these offers get snapped up as they go live throughout the day so would prefer have it locked in

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Has anyone tried to KC Peaches? There's always some available there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I did it was ok...not amazing.

Pan ah Chocolat, and a green curry with a weird breaded chicken fillet on top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

same, it was just ok - I've been pretty disappointed on the whole with my 4 purchases so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭melatonin

Meltdown Leeson Street the following for €4.99 (full price approx €17)

Just Cheese Sandwich (fine)

Homemade Sausage Roll (great)

Chocolate Twist (good)

Tomato and Basil Soup (fine, tomato soup isn't my thing)

Collected from Up@Brews as well today and similar to @Lundstram got two pots of overnight oats (one blueberry, the other chocolate), two bakewell slices, two hefty gourmet sausage rolls and an Oreo brownie. Must have been about 20 quids worth of food for 3.99, was very happy with that. I bought a coffee as well while I was there which was pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keith7509

Got the Auntie Annes suprise bag tonight.

Mix of large sweet and savoury pretzels, reckon it is about €15 worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Each to their own but I'm struggling to see where the bargain is with some of the pastry only offerings that are handed out. These could be replicated in the LIDL bakery any day an you'd be getting the freshest goods without any need to go out of your way to collect at a specific time and messing with the app.

KC Peaches (Stephen's Green)

Meals Bag

€4.99

1 large bowl of hot food

1 large bowl of salad

The attendant just gave me 2 bowls and told me to take whatever I want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

When you consider the overall attitude to squatting, freeganism, dumpster diving, couch surfing, woooffing or whatever you call that work in return for food and board freecycling recycling upcycling cycling full stop, things like foodcloud and TGTG are really pioneering and blazing a trail, that sadly I feel ought to have been there already, but maybe it's a reminder to some businesses that it does to pay tl be kind, in the end. Happy Holidays all of you and hope you have the Christmas Dinner of your dreams, just the way you like it, with all the trimmings.

Enjoy. Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Any restaurants outside of the pale on it yet?

On the map of Ireland in the app Belfast, Derry, Coleraine and Dublin are the only locations on it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It'll never get to my town in the arsehole of Connemara but I'm loving following the thread just to see what bargains (or not) ye get 👨‍🍳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I've ordered from The Butler's Pantry twice and was quite disappointed on both occasions - today was the second time.

A small loaf of basic bread - not sourdough or anything, a tub of duck liver pate and a tabouleh which is some kind of root salad, all going out of date today. Bought for 4.99. Incredibly poor value considering what other outlets are offering. It appears that Butler's Pantry are using the app the get rid of their scutter and have people pay for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That does sound disappointing but is that not the whole point of the app, to get rid of foods that would otherwise be going in the bin and to prevent food waste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Er Buchetto Caffe Italiano (Ranelagh - Dublin)

€3.99

4 pastries ( 1 Croissant, 2 Rolls, 1 Sweet Pastry)

2 mince pies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Patsy167

There's got to be an onus on the food provider to not take advantage of the "luck bag" concept and offer actual value for money. Tossing out stale pastries and bread for €4 is not a fair trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

If the point of the app was to "get rid of foods" then there would be no charge for the privilege - people would just go in and take the surplus food and prevent food waste.

Anyway, TGTG agreed that the amount of food provided was wrong and refunded the money.

Advertisement