Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

Got a surprise Breakfast bag from Bakewell Applegreen Tuam Road Galway. See contents

2 X Croissant. These were like rocks but after putting them in the microwave and oven they werent the worst 4/10

2 X Chicken and Chili pre-packaged wraps. These were a bit dry but edible none the less. Chicken looked a bit strange though too 4/10

1 X sausage roll. This bad boy was fit for the bin and thats exactly what I did with it. Overcooked was probably sitting on a hot plate from the previous day. I think a stick of rock might have been softer 0/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Patsy167

My main takeaway from using the app is to try get places that sell out fast. Applegreen and cafes giving out pastries are never in demand, and for good reason. In the absence of detailed reviews, user demand is the best guide on places worth visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah those photos above have confirmed my suspicions about what you would get from Applegreen so have never bothered with them on the app. I buy petrol there the odd time but stopped getting coffee when they reduced the dose and made it really weak yet maintained their high prices. If you prefer a strong cup of coffee you wont get it in Applegreen.

yeah its a pity the reviews are only stars rather than someone saying what they got. Though with time anything above a score of 4.0 should be a good punt. I noticed that Egans fish shop on Finglas that was recommended here a couple of times has an average score of 4.6 from a fair few reviews so that would indicate they have mainly been scored 4s and 5s. Id say between 3.5 and 4 its a coin toss as to if you get a good deal or not and below 3.5 it is likely to be disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just collected from Bold as Brass Coffee in Clontarf. It's the one at the entrance to the GAA.

I got four big scones, one slightly bashed croissant and two pastries. Nothing stale.

Well pleased for 3.99

Al's Bakery, Kimmage, loads of stuff for 3.99. Their rating is 4.7 so I had a fair idea it would be great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

The Bretzel Bakery (Dublin 8 - Portobello)

€4.99

Extra large bag.... so much food... good quality

As @Muahahaha said, I had a fair idea it would be great value considering the rating (4.8)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vimalandrew

I would advice all of you don't eat these kinds of baked things. I stopped eating this stuff years ago. I heard that baked items such as these and breads will cause aging. always eat stemed vegetables and cooked meat instead of fried and baked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

exciting.

you should puree your food too, as it will mean less chewing so less stress lines on your face.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭con747

I think people will eat what they want to, it's their choice.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Advice was good but in wrong topic:) But it's people choice what they will eat.

I'm vegan myself but looking here to see what people are getting:)

• Advertisement

yeah I think now that the app has been going several months the review scores are showing the cream rising to the top. Anything above 4.0 should be decent and above 4.5 will be both decent and lots of food. I see an Applegreen there at 3.0 which would be a hard avoid, those who picked up there must have had the piss taken out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Picked up from KC peaches Stephens green, good value- salads were excellent, hot food was a mixed bag but that could have been down to me arriving minutes before closing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anyone tried Bucket of Cheese?A residential address apparently. Might feel like a drug buy transaction.

is the time window on the offer a hard limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Stupid question time. Where do you see the start rating?

Found it. I was just looking at a place that doesn't have a rating yet.

Some cafes close around 4 or 4.30pm so it can be in that instance, best to check their individual opening hours on their website if you think you could be late. Yesterday I showed up 20 minutes early to a cafe, they were fine about it but I had to wait 5 minutes for them to prepare it. Some could make you wait till the time listed because theyd want the opportunity to sell as much food as possible at full price before discounting it at the very end of the day

Saltwater Terenure, for a fiver - two large scones, a brocolli/walnut dish that retails for a fiver, and what looks like a chicken/mustard sandwich.

It certainly passes the quantity test. 6pm isn't a great time of day to be getting a sandwich, so hopefully it will last to lunch tomorrow. The broccoli dish is marked to expire today. How the hell does broccoli expire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Got an absolute mountain of food from Baker St in Glasthule. 4 large scones, 4 croissants, 4 chocolate pastry thingies and a loaf of bread. A hell of a lot of carbs but hey its a bakery so pretty much what I was expecting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In contrast, got very little in a €5.99 bag from the Butler's pantry in Castleknock.

Seeded bread, a solitary pain au chocolat and a small sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

There are some interesting places in the app. Fast foods like Subway, Barbecue, Sushi, Donut places... has someone tried anything different (other than bread/pastry)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Got an email from Too Good to Go to say these places have been added to the app now:

• Umi Falafel, Rathmines
    • Hungry Pancake, Eyre Square
    • Hot Chip Cookies Dough, Tallaght
    • Yo! Kitchen, Dundrum Town Centre
    • Bodega, Howth Market 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I made the mistake of chancing Butler's Pantry again last week and I got **** all as well - at the highest price point too. Too Good To Go users are basically disposing of Butler's Pantry unsold shite and paying for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I picked up an order from LaHoya Greens in Terenure this evening that was very disappointing, which is a shame as I ordered (once) from them last Nov and I was very impressed…

Tonights order consisted of 3 teeny ‘salad topping’ bags which went out of date on 21/02/22, goats cheese that went out of date yesterday (it was ‘use -by’ instead of ‘best before’, so I tossed it as it was a fresh dairy item just to be on the safe side), a soggy vegan wrap and a loaf of bread.

Poor takings sadly :(

Finally managed to get a FXB bag. For €3.99 I got a whole stuffed chicken (9.50) a half chicken Japanese style (4.50) and a wedge of cheddar (3.49). Awesome value and a hell of an improvement on my paltry pickings from the 5.99 bag from The Butler's pantry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭uli84

Any recommendations within 15 mins walk from charlemont luas stop? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Forgot to update this last week. Got my first purchase from Camerino Bakery on Merrion Square - 2 croissants, a Ham & Cheese sandwich on quality Sourdough bread, a carrot and coriander soup and a banana. Thought it was great value. Wasn't aware of the place beforehand but looks great, will be back there.

You have to be quick to get Yo Sushi in Dundrum, which seem to sell out between 9 and 10pm on the night before. We got a chicken katsu curry and 2-3 servings of various sushi. I didn’t eat them myself, but the feedback from those who did was very good. Their rating is 4.7 but I’d be thinking more of 4 than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

FXB one sounds great would love to get one of those. When do they pop up?

EDIT: just got one... There's another one still there... Go go go!

Just missed it last night and again tonight 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭questionmark

Got this and a croissant from KC peaches, dame st. Was 4.99

• Advertisement

Got another FXB one last week, less impressed. Chicken livers, creamed spinach and a stuffed pork chop.

Advertisement