Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH What happens if KN installers hit a blockage in the Ducting but it's under a neighboursProperty

Options
  • 25-10-2021 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

OK so really interested in getting FTTH installed in my house, still up in the air about who to go with, I am currently with Virgin.

Ducting for Virgin Copper and the old copper phone lines comes up at the side of my house, which is all good as I would look for it to be run up the external wall and into a box room. But I do have one concern which is about 10 years ago I was having issues with broadband from UPC and they sent a guy out to run some new Coaxial from the street access cover which is approx 20 meters away from my house, but they hit a blockage somewhere along the run while feeding the fish wire down the duct and couldn't continue and just installed a new UPC router.

Now I think this ducting runs under at least one neighbour's driveway I'm not sure if they have better technology for pin pointing the blockage or clearing a jam but neighbour won't be allowing any digging up of their driveway.

Second part of the question is if I signed up with Eir as I take it for a 24 month contract they would be more helpful with getting me up and running but if the KN Engineers can't clear the blockage, and have no way off connecting me to the network, I take it the contract will be null and void, just concerned with Eir just charging me 50 euros a month with no ways of cancelling.

All thoughts and experiences appreciated, I know they will do a survey when they come out but just want to see if any other boardies had similar situations.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the duct is on the street it was probably only for UPC/VMs use. Eir wont use it.

Duct blocked on private property is the owners problem. If the install fails your contract is just cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Romero

Hi Ed E,

No I checked as I was hoping the eircom cables were run through seperate ducting but no both are run donw the same ducting would have been cablelink when house was built. Might as well order and see what the KN guys think when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Romero

Just to end this thread, KN came out last week and managed to get through the ducting, they asked me for a basin of soapy water and poured it into the ducting to push the fish tape through as it was a tight fit but they got it through in the end so delighted that I'm up and running on Eirs 1 gig service. Not seeing any contention on the line during peak evening hours.

I've rang Virgin to cancel my Broadband with them, no issue there out of contract so 30 day notice will end in December. And I've ported my home phone successfully, Eir said it could take 10 days but reality I asked for the port last friday and it was ported by Noon on Monday.

I've a small issue with this as in the girl who did the porting kind of messed up the discount price I have by resetting my contract to 12 months instead of 24 months, so have been onto Eir a few times to resolve this, so hoping I can get it sorted today to keep my 49.98 for 24 months deal.

Impressions of Eirs customer service has been pretty good and I actually find them better then Virgin, average wait time is around 15 minutes.

Advertisement