Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Stone Cottage Rennovation

Options
  • 26-10-2021 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello. Recently purchased very old stone cottage and would welcome any advice.

The cottage is over hundred years old. With 500mm thick stone walls. Very small only about 60m2. The previous owner put cement render on the exterior walls, which needs to come off.

Windows:

The existing window construction is interesting. There is a 1 inch steel beam/bar going across the span of the window and this is incased in a rough concrete mix, which is used as the window lintel. They put in concrete precast window sills. The window frame Material was timber but completely rotten now.

questions:

- is there any problem with putting in a concrete precast lintel? As opposed to the probably more recommended stone lintels?

- same story for the window sill

- I'm assuming the window frame Material should be timber and not pvc.

Roof:

There is currently no roof. The top of the buildings wall used to have a timber wall plate. This is completely rotten now and I have removed it. The top of the wall is now just loose stone. I intend to create a ring beam going around the top of the wall in order to tie the whole structure together and to better support the new roof.

Questions:

- what height should the ring beam be? I have adequate height from top of floor level to existing top of wall.

- should the ring beam be lime based ?

- would you add steel reinforcement to the ring beam?

- I have heard of people knocking off the triangle section on the gable end wall, in order to create a flat ring beam going around the entire house, then building back up the gable end. Has anyone ever heard of this, or have advice on it.

I have plenty more questions, but I will start with that.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

These are mostly questions for an engineer, preferably one skilled in the conservation of historical buildings (list here, no idea how definitive it is).

I don't think structural advice is allowed on boards.

As far as the non-structural stuff is concerned I don't think window frame material makes any difference apart from aesthetics and cost considerations, although timber frames will limit the choice of glazing (e.g. limited possibilities for triple glazing).

Advertisement