Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Router Login to a TP Router

Options
  • 26-10-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi Teck People,

I thought I was quite good at this but obviously a bit behind. Ok, so to cut to the chase as they say,

my setup is an MR6400 TP link router that I have set up for security with 3 cameras. I have the 'Tether' app

on my phone along with the TP TAPO app also, all working fine, all setup by me . The router has a THREE simm card,

thats fine too.

When I'm local I see my router, as i'm supposed to, in my 'Tether' app. When I'm out of the house I cannot login remotely

to my network which is what I'd like to do to read the incoming messages from three.

I've been in the house with my laptop taking all the IP address via the router ( ie the outgoing ip )

but cannot seem to get theough. IPCONFIG/ALL gives me a lot of information

but also seems to give me a lot of IV6 mac address which is not making sense . I thought that this command would

show me the outgoing IP of my router.

I even used the trick of 'whats my ip' on google but this seems not to work. My PORTS are setup ok ..

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

As I understood you get your internet connectivity over 3 sim card. Depending on your ISP config your router may not even get public IP.

ipconfig will not show your public ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

As the last poster said, you may not even have a public address.

Also many routers won't allow admin access from an external IP.

Even if you have a public address it is probably dynamic, so will be a different address tomorrow.

I'm assuming by your user name that you have some raspberry pi's running on the local network. Wiregaurd VPN on a pi along with app on phone could be a good option, would allow your phone to connect to any device on your home network from anywhere outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I use mikrotik router to access my HA environment including cameras remotely. The simple way is just open and forward ports but that is not secure. I have VPN running on it and this allows me to connect from anywhere be it phone, tabled or laptop. Also the router allows to configure DDNS so dynamic IPs is not an issue. You can also use 4G USB modem on it as fallback or as primary connection. One thing to note this is not your simple plug and play router. It does have a learning curve but the possibilities it presents are worth it.

Advertisement