Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people do this..

• 26-10-2021 12:29pm

By which I mean why do some folks when a public toilet be it a cubicle or WC insist that when a door is LOCKED trying one of (or a combination of)

knocking, shouting IS ANYONE THERE, violently rattling the door handle if there is one & my personal favourite trying to effectively rip the door or handle clean off..

like if I enter a public toilet I can observe a fully closed stall door for instance, well it’s probably occupied. But if I’m not 100% sure, a gentle nudge, did the door open? No? Okay it’s locked.

locked means either it’s occupied or it’s out of order, right? So why would you yell HELLO IS ANYONE THERE or knock and bang on the **** thing? Do you think anyone wants to speak to you, a stranger, when their tryna go?

like I have anxiety, **** like that (no pun intended) gets on my tits because it makes me then feel pressured, stressed and anxious that I’m holding up a massive q, which means I’ll rush to finish up and wash and leave only to find it’s just some donkey who felt like they were in the right to just stop short of getting a battering ram like.

i wonder about these people.

so anyway, have you done this? If so, why? (And also can you not?) I can hardly be the only one who finds this really unnecessary and annoying to say the least.. so if it’s happened to you does it bother you much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very poor “etiquette”, if you ask me.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Never done it. But a few times in public toilets and ones in work, the lock can be turned to the 'engaged' position and door closed in but not locked, and of course no one inside, so you are left guessing. So I either hang about and listen for a noise, or give a gentle push on the door to see if it opens. But it's rare that happens. I actually think it's the cleaners that leave it like that. In 99% cases it's clear cut the cubicle is occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Yes this happens to me aswell, it's basically down to a lack of intelligence or just ignorance really. Same as people sitting beside you on the bus when it's 90% empty. It'll never change so just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭1percent

I get your point on the "battering ram" but as you said if it is locked its either out of order or in use, a quick push or rattle to check which it is not over the top, a simple yup/grunt/our father, whatever, to acknowledge the person on the other side is the usual response. If no response, then assume its OoO.

Your "feelings" are none of my concern, getting to the drop off point in a timely manner after a feed of stout and kebab is.

• I don’t quite get you?

on one hand you seem to agree that there’s simply no need to attempt to pull a door of the handle, however on the other you are indifferent to the fact it’s ridiculous & how people feel about it is irrelevant?

and I didn’t say I think the person speaking on the opposite side is looking to engage in a lengthy conversation however I’m not sure what relevance it holds either way since the door is locked because

1. it’s occupied
    2. It’s out of order

So either way go away, honestly. It’s incredibly awkward to be tryna do what you gotta do and have some donkey asking if “someone’s there”. Like honestly just go away 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are in a cubicle, lock it... if it’s locked the indicator on the lock (red, green or white) will accurately show the status of the cubicle...

amazing the number of people who don’t lock them, weirdos, I wouldn’t be going around shouting ‘ is anybody there ‘ though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Learn to whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If this is men's toilets you're talking about there may not be enough cubicles for modern toilet "culture" e.g. lads who are afraid to piss in a urinal so head for the cubicle for a piss which is occupied by some lad...having a piss.

Also I know of one individual who, if he goes into a toilet and finds the cubicles occupied, looks under the door to see if the shoes are pointed in the sh*tting or pissing (standing) position. If the latter, he might start trying to hurry them up and rattling the door. Surprisingly, he hasn't had his head kicked in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

Teach yourself various grunting sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Funny thing is, I have lived in Spain, Ireland and the USA - and this would ONLY happen to me in the US.

Wtf is wrong with people over there ?

One guy actually stuck his head over the door to look in to check it was occupied - I mean F*CKING RETARDED!!!

Another guy at a national park, was out there trying the door shouted back to his family "It's Locked!!!!" ...

Yeah it's locked because it's occupied you stupid **** cretin!!!

I get angry thinking about it, especially since I only lived there for a relatively short time, and yet has never happened to me elsewhere ... maybe a quick nudge and then they realise it's locked ... but that's it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Alot of people going in for a number 1 don't bother locking them. At least I have come across this. Then they get thick with you when you open the cubicle door.

"looks under the door to see if the shoes are pointed in the sh*tting or pissing (standing) position"

That is hilarious. Still needs a good hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Never lived in the US, but I’ve visited it a few times. My experience is that most toilet cubicle doors over there have a gaping gap where the door closes, making it easy to see whether it’s occupied or not.

Not fun sitting on the throne, hungover and jet lagged, having to make eye contact with your co-workers as you lay a ripe batch of brown eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭1percent

Apologies for not clarifying, the jiggle is to Electric a response from inside, no response I assume its OoO and find another trap. Last thing you want is to be standing outside a cubical doing the poo poo dance for 5 min only to realise its OoO losing vital time.

If you get a grunt after the door wiggle you know it's functional and if he is a gent he will give you the heads up of any issues that you may encounter when it's your turn.

But a trick for you that I will share for free, when you are in that position and you hear someone come in, give a loud cough. It let's them know you are there so no need for the door wiggle/battering ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's really only happened if I used a disabled cubicle, and alway women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It happened to me at a house party a few years ago. Some idiot kept banging on the (locked) door, shouting about being "bursting". So I grabbed the shower head, pointed it into the toilet and pretended to have a five minute wee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah c'mon, at a house party there's always a very unfavourable ratio of bladders to pots...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Cleaners lock some toilets so they have less mess to clean end of day. Hence when people desperate for releaf they want to make sure someone is actually using it.

Advertisement