Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Profits

• 26-10-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I'm a newbie to this space so very much learning as I go. I wanted to ask about taking profits. I'll be looking to hodl most positions but I do keep hearing that taking profits along the way is the smarter option in a bull market.

I was looking at two options with taking 20% profit when the asset goes up 60%

Example a: 1k investment rises to 1,600 = 360 withdrawal

or

Example b: Take 20% out of 600 profit = 120 withdrawal

Which strategy is better?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The best strategy is whatever works for you

No harm taking 10% off at set levels and reinvesting when hits a bottom you want to invest back in at again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Either strategy is fine, although you'll have to pay tax on any realised profits so make sure it's worth your while. I tend to leave mine invested unless I need the cash, or if it goes up a lot in a short period, then I'll skim a bit off the top. If it gets to the stage where you're nervous checking your balance, that's a good indication you might want to take a bit of profit.

If you're investing in sh1tcoins and they go crazy, it can be a good idea to take profits and reinvest them into more established coins like btc/eth. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 melven100

My biggest regrets are when I didn't take profit when I was feeling this is a right time. Just take profits when you feel comfortable.

My golden rule now: it's better to have any profit than waiting while the bag comes from underwater.

Advertisement