Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet pet injection. Charged €45 fee for a jab. Told veterinary nurses are not qualified to give jabs

Options
  • 26-10-2021 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

My wee pet was diagnosed with an ongoing condition and was prescribed a monthly injection.

No problem with diagnosis and proposed treatment so happy to pay the professional fee.

When I came back a few days later to get the first jab, I was told than since

the vet gave the injection, the standard vet fee of €45 would apply.

Not impressed.

Was also told specifically that the fee would be €45 every month.

Not impressed at all.

When I questioned why a nurse could not give the injection, was told specifically "nurses are not qualified to give this injection".

Checked with the VCI (the vet regulator) who said specifically that nurses are qualified to give this injection.

Came for the second injection and asked about the cost and was told yet again a €45 vet fee would apply.

This is big practice they have plenty of nurses. Had to hustle to get the nurse to do it.

Finally got jab without the €45 fee.

Anyone else have this sort of experience where Vets are doing work that Vet nurses are well qualified to do,

so that they can extract a hefty fee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

perhaps its time to change your Vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why do you think the Vet's practice should provide the service for free? I assume you don't work for free so why should the vet's provide a service to you for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

when i go to get my bloods done in my doctors surgery a nurse draws the blood. im charged more than 45 euro! but i don't think nurses time/effort should be free or nearly free, its a professional performing a service to a high standard.

To bring this back on track; your dog gets the same benefit from in injection regardless of who does the injection, as long as its done professionally. It is and it was. i personally think the fee is reasonable, and if anything the Vet is probably the best person to do the injection. If you want the nurse to do it (and the nurse feels comfortable doing it) then great but the service should still be billed.

But in the scenario where they tell you the cost in advance and you go ahead and use the service then i dont think you really have grounds to complain. If your unhappy with how the clinic does business or you don't trust them, or you think they inflate their bills etc. then change, as i suggested earlier. that's your right as the customer.

do you tell the pharmacist they should waive their dispensing fee if a pharmacy technician looks after your prescriptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you expect the nurse to give this injection for free every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Maybe you're understandably upset that your dog is sick or that you now have a reoccurring extra bill for €45 a month.Whilst I can understand the dog being sick is sad and the fee is annoying that doesn't change the fact that folks don't work for free,somebody has to pay.

Wanting the jab for free smacks of entitlement,maybe you get a lot of other things for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP never mentioned getting it for free.

To be fair I would have thought there would be a reduced fee for something routine that has to be done every month.

Similar to GP visit costs 50-60 but if the nurse is just doing your bloods it costs 30ish.

Maybe OP can look at doing the injection themselves, I've seen this before where a regular injection was required.

That said original post is from October last year, not sure why thread was resurected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Finally got jab without the €45 fee.

seems to me they did get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

On reflection you are probably right, I initially read it as without having to pay the full fee, i.e. they had to pay a reduced fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Its the bigger practices that look at adding as much extra charge as they can. Usually they have shareholders to pay in addition to staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Pets cost a lot, especially when they're sick. Pay up or leave the pet in pain/sickness whatever.

You can't compare the situation to humans.

Vets will always be painfully expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do not leave any pet in pain.

What type of responsible owner would do that?

Advertisement