Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mycelial Networks adapted to cold

Options
  • 26-10-2021 9:30pm

Greatly inspired by Merlin Sheldrake's Entagled Life book, particularly the relationship between mycelial networks and trees/forests

IT seems that plant life and fungii are mutually co-dependent and one cannot survive without the other(particularly plants)

It got me thinking about barren planets such as Mars, and finding inactive myecelial networks in MArtian soil, like those found in Arctic permafrost would be a very good way for looking for past life.. you wouldn't necessarily have to find the fungal cells

Looking up cold tolerant fungii that can metabolise at freezing point made me wonder is there research going on at the moment investigations what traits make an organism more cold tolerant, and if so, can they be manipulated to allow the organism to work at well below 0 degrees....future terraforming potential

And lastly if there is research afoot, can any of the slog work by taken over by volunteers, kinda like volunteers sifting through data looking for patterns that could be extrasolar planets!

Please contribute

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are organisms with natural antifreeze.

But the big problem on the surface of Mars is the low atmospheric pressure. Water wouldn't last long as it would go directly from a solid to a gas, neither useful for dissolving the organic soup inside cells. Same with carbon dioxide.

I take the point about low atmospheric pressure, but how about some other substrate other than martian "air",, such as in rocks or deeper down?

Advertisement