Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Irish Cancer care from overseas. Are they actually for real?

• 27-10-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My Dad has skin cancer and had to have most of his teeth removed in preparation for radiotherapy on the side of his face (it's a common step I believe).

He's from the Midlands and had the treatment in the dental hospital in TCD. 

They sent his a bill afterwards for 100s of euro for the procedure because he's not from Dublin. But that's where St Luke's referred him. 

He's 74 and has a full medical card (and kidney failure). It just doesn't seem right that he should have to pay in my view. I'd expect something like this in the US. 

So in addition to being in agony from skin cancer, he is now also in agony from having so many teeth removed and has a huge bill to pay also. 

It just doesn't seem right to me. What do you think? Anyone I could potentially escalate it to? 

Thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

Your dad will probably have to pay as it was a referral outside of St Luke's(Kilkenny?)to another hospital.I do not think it was because he does not live in Dublin.As a minimum TCD will want e80 - the outpatient charge.Best to write to the registrar of the Dental Hospital and plead a case.Maybe his consultant can do something.No urgency about paying anything yet.You might get a debt threat letter in about 2 months-just keeping writing to the registrar.

Advertisement