Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating how many slabs of floor insulation needed

• 27-10-2021 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all, wondering can you help me here.

We are putting down the floor slabs soon (2 x 75mm slabs). I see I have to measure the perimeter area ratio? How would I do that? I haven't a clue. Is there any online calculator I can use to see how many full slabs I need?

Example: My 2 front room is 4900 x 4500cm so would that be roughly 5 or 6 sheets?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Sheets generally are 2400mm long by 1200mm wide although check to be sure. 4900 = 2 x sheets long (short 100mm) 4500 = 4 sheets wide with 2 x 300mm off cuts which will cover the 100mm that your short on the end. You'll need insulation to go around the perimeter where your slab meets the walls Generally 25mm thickness but check your specification, this is both to allow for expension of the slab & also to ensure continuity of insulation. in the room you describe your perimeter is 4900 x 2 = 9.8 metres + 4500 * 2 = 9.0 total perimeter is 18.8 Linear metres multiplied by the height of perimeter insulation which will depend on your slab thickness. this can be be bought in 150mm wide strips or you can buy 1200 * 2400mm sheets for this also. this will require 8 strips. so if your strips are 150 high you should get 6 from 1 sheet so you'll need 2 sheets of whatever thickness it is.

your floor for the room size in your post will need 8 sheets if it was in a 150mm thick insulation but as you are using 2 layers of 75mm you'll need 16 sheets of 75mm & don't forgot to fit it with joints staggered so no joint on top layer aligns with the joint in the layer below.

Hope this makes sense.

Advertisement