Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't people admit they're wrong?

• 27-10-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Just heading back to work on dual carriageway. I was in the overtaking lane behind another car.

The lad in the transit decides to pull out into the car infront of me because he was about about get caught behind a slow vehicle in front of him.

The car in front of me makes an evasive manoeuvre and manages to avoid getting hit at the side and the transit pulled back into their lane.

Rather than put out their hand to apologise for being a **** moron the transit driveer aggressively points to his own indicators several times as much to say I indicated so it's your fault I nearly hit you.

What's wrong with people. Is he genuinely brain dead? Or simply ignorant?

Indicators are to INDICATE your intention WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. They're not a right of way

People seem to be too quick to go on the defensive rather than literally put their hand up and admit they're wrong.

/Rant_end

Edit

Removed term Fast lane for Overtaking lane.

Because I was wrong

Because I can admit it

Comments

I always admit when I'm wrong... except to my partner... I'll never ever give up that ammunition, even if I'm blatantly wrong ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

I once mentioned the fast lane on boards, and got slaughtered over it.

Still won't apologise, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tell us more about this "fast lane"...

/popcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Love the aul fast lane myself. I think to myself “life in the fast lane” when I pass all the plebs in the slow lane.

There's one on round-abouts also. They're called the inside lane!

White van drivers love 'em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They wont admit they are wrong because if their ego. Its much more admirable when some just puts their hands up and says yes you are right im wrong, sorry. You ask an able bodied person why they are parked in a disabled spot and the majority of them will get defensive and aggressive. I suppose what else would you expect from people like that.

I know some people think of the outside lane as the overtaking lane, but it rarely works that way in reality. If you are motoring along at 120km per hour then you might as well stay in the outside lane, rather than moving in an out as you pass slower drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, people can always admit they are wrong. There is never an occasion when someone truly can't admit it

And you know that the above is true. You just can't admit it

• Advertisement

I'm always wrong and will remain wrong for as long as I can, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I thought I was wrong once,

but it turned out I was mistaken.

Admitting when you are wrong is a sign of emotional maturity.

I honestly think that the majority of adults lack this skill completely for various psychological reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"I'm a selfish person who doesn't understand how to drive properly - change my mind"

I mean if you’re going at the speed limit and passing out slower cars then what is the point of moving back into the left lane only to have to move back out again a few seconds later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

On the M50 (particularly southbound, between junctions 9 and 12), it's the lane furthest to the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know if many people will agree with this...

But from experience I have come to the conclusion that your average person thinks they are right. From opinions, to actions, to their morals.... no matter how wrong they may actually be, they think they are right.

When you start to accept that then you start to realise why people are a$sholes. Because to them the other person is wrong. The other person is the as$hole. Throw in a mix of people not giving a toss about others then hey, welcome to the world.

I think we're split from the same atom. Certainly on this we are. One other mentioned emotional maturity and I agree there also. I think it takes someone that has emotional maturity to admit they're wrong. Doesn't come necessarily with age, but often will if the right ingredients are there to reach that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Awesome username by the way. That Serge was a great character. Love the way in the first movie he just gives up and calls him Mr Foley lol.

But you're right. Maturity does play a part. We've all been young and too immature to say sorry.

To add to the mix I would say situational plays a part too. Some can admit wrong doing to those who we are close to, but then saying piss off if it were to a radomer instead.

• Advertisement

A great movie alright. One of my all time favourites

Discussing this with a friend of mine today he said he was leaving a petrol station a while back. Its a one way system. Clearly marked ENTRY ONLY and EXIT ONLY with 2 signs on each. As he was leaving a Mercedes with 1 man and a young boy tried to pull in. My mate didn't move, he couldn't reverse anyhow as there was a car right behind him. The Mercedes just stayed there.. then my friend pointed to the two signs (EXIT ONLY) to which the arsehole in the Mercedes rolled down his window and shouts "who the fcuk made you Judge and fcuking jury" (quite an odd thing to say really)

My friend, cool as a breeze, said "ah, I'm not that, just pointing out the obvious, but I must say, you're setting a fine example for that young man"

The arsehole rolled up his window, still mouthing and drove to the correct entry point.

I'm must add, I'm sure he didn't "roll up or roll down" the windows in his merc, unless it was a 1970s merc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And here's part of the problem. The lane is specficially for overtaking, nothing else, you don't cruise in it, you don't decide that you're doing the speed limit so I can stay in the overtaking lane... Just move back in and don't be a cnut. If you're moving back out again in 30 seconds, so be it. If it's a line of traffic, stay there until you can move back in. But always move back in. Why? Because you're a cnut if you don't. Simples. Also, didn't know this about overtaking lanes, and not sure if it's even true, but it's on the AA's website:

Some vehicles are not permitted to use the right lane: HGVs, and any vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan. An exception is made where there is no other lane available due to an obstruction.

ANyway, people can't admit they're wrong because doing so could be seen as an admittance of not being amazing. And god, you can't be not amazing these days. All ties back to the simple greed and selfishness of humanity.

Mostly pride or they're delusional.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong even though its very rare.... lol only joking/half joking. Actually I often take blame for things that I know are not my fault...sometimes I do it just to shut people up. Sometimes I do it because I know it will make the other person feel better and it's not worth arguing about and other times just keep the peace✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ego is the big issue isn’t it? It is very interesting, very few people, myself included, can just accept it when they get things wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

What do you mean admit I'm wrong? I'm not wrong. You're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most people prefer going easy on themselves so even the truth is starring them in the face, dancing with denial is the preferred choice.

Especially when they are not particularly invested in the truth of a particular situation in the first place

Yea? Well sometimes people only give the truth in drips and drabs...

Advertisement