Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ram effect later in the breeding season

• 27-10-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of letting the ram with the ewes from mid november for mid April lambing...is there any point trying the ram effect this late in the breeding season/cycle, would it be any use. Was thinking of putting the ram in a pin or trailer in the field around the 04th for 2 days then taking away for two weeks before letting him back to them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We'd always do it here, it costs nothing and it definitely tightens up the lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks..... Have ewes weaned since the start of august and on fairly good grass since. On flushing am i right in thinking that to flush these ewes if i put them on very bare paddock for 14 days before putting them in on good grass with the ram, thats flushing, or is flushing having them on good grass right up to going to the ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If they're in good condition they need to be on good grass for a month before mating and if they're thin, they need two mths good grass before mating.

Putting them on a bare paddock for a week or two is done just after weaning to reduce their milk

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭k mac

Have my newly purchased ram in a pin in a field with the ewes since this morning. Plan is to bring the ewes away in 2 days time for 2 weeks for the ram effect. My only worry is leaving the ram iin the field on his own for 2 weeks and could this cause problems...i suppose i could leave him in the pin and throw a bit of meal and grass to him every day.The field is well fenced but just wondering would leaving him on his own be a bad idea, have no wether lambs or any other sheep bar ewes lambs so nothing i can put in with him.

Advertisement