Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Covid death rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you aren't suffering to protect anyone.

the restrictions must remain for deliberately unvaccinated so as to incentivize them to get the vaccine.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

How is being forced to wear a mask not having a freedom curtailed?

I'm from what I saw yesterday it does feel like we are being punished in order to protect some who can't even look after their own health.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Incentivise = coerce. If that fails, just open concentration camps and institute regimented and strict 're-education'. The Chinese gave us Covid and they would be more than happy to share their concentration camp re-education expertise as well, I'm sure

Adversial, it seems that unless you get every booster going then you're anti-vaxx and the only reason you won't get a booster shot is because of da government, Facebook, Twitter (take your pick).

So if all the unvaccinated got vaccinated there would be no more restrictions? Is that what you're saying?

• Advertisement

we would be able to remove them a lot quicker, yes .

mask wearing in public might need to stay, at least at certain times of the year but realistically that's barely a restriction anyway.

and it would help even greater, those who cannot get a vaccine due to medical reasons or for which the vaccine genuinely won't work.

What evidence is there to suggest the restrictions would, or will, ever be removed? People keep saying they'll be removed, but I don't know why they're so sure.

People covering their faces isn't natural. It's definitely a restriction. What do you mean by 'in public'?

in public means in public.

the evidence that the restrictions will be removed is that they have removed many of them and they lifted some at various times throughout the pandemic.

covering faces is natural, i have saw plenty of people more or less doing it for years, granted nothing to do with a virus etc, but most definitely done whether it be because they are cold or whatever.

I've no idea what you mean by 'in public', I'm afraid. For me it means 'on the street'. Maybe that's what you mean.

So no evidence then. No restrictions have been properly lifted. In fact, even when NPHET half-lifted them they insisted on even more restrictions.

Covering your face for hours at work, in every shop, in banks etc isn't natural.

Anyway, I think we've gone way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No it isn't. It's you losing credibility.

19 months is not 24 months.

7 months is not a year.

If your employer gave you 80% of your wages would you accept it?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I won’t be getting a booster either. Absolutely pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As has already been stated people are free to go to nightclubs etc and enjoy themselves. But during the week when they are at work, going to work or shopping please have some consideration to those around you, as you don't now if they are immune compromised or living with people who are.

To those who say people like me can choose to stay isolating, we can't really choose as we have no other choice. Why would we go out and risk getting Covid? We are not stopping you living a normal life but please have some consideration for others and that must include masking up.

Yeah the flu doesn't spread alright. It spontaneously generates in each individual.

Ok I'm checking out of this thread. I've never come across so much ignorance and stupidity online. That's saying something.

You are not being punished to protect anyone. You are being asked to continue to show some pretty basic civic responsibility. And no one said anything about any restrictions remaining permanent.

How does a minor restriction like wearing a mask where still required weigh up on a scale of inconvenience against the major restrictions you expect those in high risk groups to impose on themselves, just so you can do what you like? Pretty low, in my opinion.

Do you not see the double standard in demanding the government remove all restrictions so you can go back to living your life "as normal", when the cost of that would mean whole cohorts of people in high risk groups being forced to live under much harsher restrictions to mitigate the risks?

What about their right to live as normal a life as possible?

Or do you actually think they don't have that right, or your rights somehow outweigh theirs and the government should just ignore them?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Where are you exactly ? On the tube in London , in Sweden , in Moscow? Sounds like you are not that restricted at all , more power to you !

Ireland has Covid Certs, btw , not vaccine passports

So why is wearing masks in some circumstances and presenting Covid Certs for entry to indoor hospitality for a while more such an issue then ," in the grand scheme of things " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I would call this as scientific point of view 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is no booster shots for Ireland yet and not looking like any for the general population for a while.

Is your reason for not getting vaccinated because the government told you to do so, or facebook fearmongering? Seems a pretty silly reason to have to live a restricted life.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

Sorry for your situation op, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This has gone on long enough, it's time to get back to normal as C19 is now endemic and it isn't going away any time soon (if ever). The vast majority of the people who I know or have talked to regarding another lockdown have been morbidly obese. They would rather have us all locked down again rather than hit the treadmill. I'm vaxxed, wear a mask and wash my hands regularly and socially distance. I have played my part as have most of us. I've never caught the Rona but I have zero fear of it, time for normality to return enough is enough.

I'd love for this to be correct, but the only way this works is if we stop treating those who are in certain categories and that's not likely to happen (for many reasons). An obese person who gets sick because of SARS-COV2 and exacerbated by being obese takes up just as many hospital resources as someone who lives well but happens to be susceptible for COVID. Unless there is a lot more hospital capacity added, "acceptable covid deaths" cannot occur unless treatment is denied to people which means restrictions until hospitalisations and ICU numbers drop.

If those numbers rise too much we will have excess deaths due to denying treatment to some.

• Advertisement

I agree, however fat people and people who are immunocompromised should just stay home. I know that sounds harsh but what else can be suggested as a viable alternative?. The government needs to support those who have underlying health issues but I have little sympathy for fat people who have done that to themselves. Having said that I would never ever suggest that fat people be denied treatment if they contract C19. The vulnerable should stay home and the rest of us should continue on and take all necessary precautions to protect them, but be allowed to live under no more lockdowns or restrictions.

I wish I was in two of those places.

They can call them whatever they want. Same difference.

How do you know it's just for a while more? It was supposed to be two weeks, and that was almost two years ago. I wonder why people are confident that the restrictions will be lifted soon. It's not based on anything as far as I can see.

And it's all circumstances. I'm not even sure they aren't mandatory outdoors. Mask wearing outside was supposed to be lifted outdoors on the 22nd. I remember reading that and wondering what they meant by outdoors. So for all I know they might be mandatory outdoors too.

That's already happening to a degree but the unvaccinated are loud and obnoxious about the restrictions on them when not following public health advice, it's a brave politician who would try and put restrictions on those who are following public health advice.

Please clarify what you mean by "necessary precautions" - in the context of no more restrictions.

Overweight and immuno-compromised people along with everyone else in the high risk groups have lives to live too, including livings to earn, children to bring to and from school, errands to run which involve interacting with others in society, and so on.

Thinking they can "just stay home" is unrealistic and overly simplistic.

o

A brave politician indeed, something that we sadly in short supply of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A cluster broke out near me and I caught it , it definitely came from a unvaxed crowd I know , and confidently say it would not have been as serious had they all been vaxxed, horrible bug

Well for the elderly, government agents can call out weekly to them and make sure that they are safe and sound, help them pay their bills and sort out the shopping as well as make sure they are getting their prescriptions. For the immunocompromised, they can continue on with normal if they wish, but accept the consequences should disaster fall upon them. For fat people, put the pizza down and join a gym. Society cannot be in perpetual lock downs or have tough restrictions placed upon us in perpetuity. I don't care about the vax cert in order to get a pint, having a pint in the local isn't a human right, however I also support the right for people to queue up for a nightclub if they so choose.

As for my previous comment being unrealistic or overly simplistic, maybe it is. However, is it also unrealistic or simplistic to suggest that we return to normalcy as this virus is now endemic and most likely will never go away?

You are aware that most of the restrictions have already been lifted right?

There is no lockdown, everywhere is open again. You can do whatever you like, all you are being asked is to make a few concessions like wearing a mask in shops and on public transport.

No one has asked for perpetual lockdowns or harsh restrictions to continue - not even those of us who are immuno-compromised or at risk on this thread, if you had bothered to actually read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No . At the moment not being vaccinated is the biggest risk factor for Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I can't always stay at home. My bank is closing down early next year and I have to move banks. How do you suggest I do this if I am staying at home?

Advertisement