Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awkward Tax Situation, looking for some advice

Options
  • 28-10-2021 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My question relates how Futures trading factors in to CGT

My situation is fairly complex so I'll take some liberties and boil it down to the bare essentials. Last year, I made some decent gains trading crypto. Because I am an idiot, I decided to take those gains and try leveraged futures trading on binance and bitmex. And in my idiocy, I managed to get myself liquidated several times, completely wiping out the gains I had previously made from traditional trading. All of this occurred within the same tax year.

Now, obviously I was somewhat upset about where my impulsive stupidity had led me, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and a silver lining on the cloud: Because I'd wiped out my gains via leveraged trading/gambling, I wouldn't have to pay any CGT for 2020. And so I didn't.

Having done some further reading on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that I may have been wrong. I'm not sure about Ireland, but in certain other countries, you can't write off futures trading losses against CGT. I'm trying to figure out if I owe anything. As painful as it would be to pay tax against money I have subsequently lost, I'll happily do it if required. I'm in a bit of a rush as the deadline for submitting a 2020 tax return is October 31st, and I'd rather not incur any further penalties.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Get an accountant.

Do not gamble with Revenue.

They do not f**k around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ConcernedStoat

I'm considering it. From looking at other threads here there seem to be a few users who are well versed in Crypto tax, so just wanted to test the waters.

Believe me, I am terrified of revenue, but I don't think it would be in their best interests to come down hard on people who are making an earnest effort to pay tax on their crypto, given the nature of the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

Any updates on this? Did you contact an accountant? I'd be interested in hearing the outcome.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement