Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do Health Insurance Claims work

Options
  • 28-10-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

A recent experience has me questioning how the Health Insurance system actually works - would appreciate any insights.

Earlier this year I saw a GP who referred me to an ENT consultant on the basis that I had private health insurance.

The ENT consultant charged me €200 for the consultation. I then claimed €100 back through my insurance. At the appointment the consultant put a camera up my nose (not my throat). I notice on my insurance account that the ENT consultant then claimed €140 for scope of the larynx under local anaesthesia (I thought this would be part of the initial consultation).

So the appointment cost me €100 after claim, it cost insurance provider €240 and the consultant gets €340 - this just seems bananas.

(sidenote: the ENT told me absolutely nothing for €340)

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

what is your specific question? Were the charges not in line with your policy? Was part of your claim refused or what?

If you want to discuss the merits of public policy this is not the place for it and I will move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

No I don't have a grievance with what I was charged and I don't think it is a question of public policy.

How does it work with health insurance and consultants that a consultant can charge a rate where they know I can claim 50% but then also charge full cost for a procedure to the insurance company. Does the consultant have an agreement with the insurance company also?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement