Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sky over Dublin 6pm 28.10.21

Options
  • 29-10-2021 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

This was taken from the Grangecastle area, by standing up on the roof of a passing car obviously, facing east. The sun had gone down behind me and it was fairly cloudy and normal when I got to look back westwards. I wonder what caused the sky to look like this and if anyone has a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Nice capture JMSE. I am fairly certain that what you saw and photographed there was a phenomenon known as anticrepuscular rays. Your description of the setting sun having gone down behind you and you looking in the opposite direction of where the sunlight was would support the fact that these were such rays.

I will try and attach a link that hopefully explains this phenomenon in a more detailed way.

https://earthsky.org/earth/how-to-see-anticrepuscular-rays/

Advertisement