Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Graphics Card to GTX 680 - Mac Pro 3,1 - Help!

Options
  • 29-10-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I picked up a (Palit) Geforce GTX 680 and I'm trying to get it installed on a Mac Pro 3,1. There are two mini 6 pin power ports on the motherboard, but as far as research is showing me I'll need the old graphics card in (one cable mini 6pin to larger 6pin), as well as the new one (requires two cable inputs 6pin and 8pin) to flash it. Any pointers on the cable(s) I need as I seem to be short a port and don't want to fry anything either. All I have at the mo is 1xmini 6 pin to 6pin for the old graphics card, and another mini 6 pin to 8 pin ordered (both of these should power the new card).

Would be happy to buy a couple of cables off someone if they have them to spare, or if someone can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

Advertisement