If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on shopping list

• 29-10-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm moving house and am planning to buy some new bits and pieces so wanted a quick check to make sure what I'm going to buy are the best options for my setup.

I've pretty much decided on the LG C1 55" OLED TV. Is there anything to put me off this TV? Seems to be the best of the bunch at the moment.

I will also pick up a mounting bracket and was looking Sanus BMT-B1. I want something slim and low profile, that will offer a small amount of downward tilt, as the TV will be relatively high on the wall (above a fake fireplace). I don't need tilting side by side. Is this the best option?

I already have an amp (Yamaha RX-V677) and a 2.1 set up that I am planing to keep. It consists of 2 Monitor Audio MR1 speakers, and a Wharfdale Diamond SW150 subwoofer. I think that the amp should handle everything I need, and manage to cope with 4K video (Nvidia Shield), but if I'm wrong here, I'm open to correction.

This is a new house, and so I have some ceiling speakers wired at the back of the room, that I'm planning to try out as surround rears for a 4.1 setup. I'm aware that this isn't usually recommended, but I didn't get to spec out full 5.1 wiring in time, so I'm going to try it out and if I don't like it, I'll just use the ceiling speakers for music.

I was planning to go for 2x Monitor Audio C165s for this purpose. Would these be a good fit? These will plug into the Yamaha amp with the MR1s and SW150.

I also have wiring for a single ceiling speaker in the kitchen, going back to where the amp is. I was going to use a Monitor Audio C165-T2 for this purpose as it is stereo in a single speaker, and wire this to the Zone 2 output of my amp.

I believe since these ceiling speakers are downstairs in a 2 story house, I'll need to add fire hoods on these? Would the FH10 work for the above speakers?

Basically I'm just looking to make sure the above sounds sensible and that I'm not missing any glaring issues or better options. Cheers!

Also wondering how easy or difficult ceiling speakers are to install. I was planning on getting someone to do the install, but it they're very straightforward I might tackle it myself.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Theintern.

Many thanks for the post.

The 55C1 is the TV to go for without over spending as it produces a fantastic image and is packed with features. It get great reviews also.

At the moment it is priced at £1299 but we have a £100 code for it RSTV100 dropping it down to £1199.

The BMT bracket will only support up to a 50" TV, so you would need to go for the BLT2. I could offer one of these at £87.

The RXV677 still supports 4K passthrough so it will pair in with the 55C1 pretty easily. It will not be able to handle the new generation games consoles at 120fps but to avail of this you can connect straight to the TV for picture and then HDMI ARC back to the amp for Audio.

For the inceiling speakers the C165 are a great choice. We use them here at the store ourselves in our demo room.

I could offer these at £99 Each and the C165 T2 at £125.00. The firehoods are mainly just for precaution but are a good idea to add in as it keeps you covered. I could offer the FH10 at £34 Each.

The only issue you will come across with a 4.1 setup is that you will need to run it in multi channel stereo, this plays the same audio in both front left and right and rear left and right. If you run it in a 5.1 mode then you will loose out the centre channel audio track.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭theintern

Good point about a centre speaker. I'll definitely add one soon to get full 5.1. Based on our planned layout, it'll likely need to be not very tall to fit in nicely with the rest of our setup. Could you recommend some centre speakers?

I'd like to go ahead all of with the items you've mentioned for now, including delivery to Ireland. Can you DM me so I can put in the order?

Hi Theintern.

You could maybe check out the Monitor Audio Radius 200 for the centre speaker as it would be one of the most neat once that we stock.

Retails at £219 but I could offer one to you for £175.

There is also the KEF T101C coming in at £149 (Special Order product).

If you want to drop me over your name and a contact number in a PM I can give you a call first thing tomorrow and we can get the order finalised up.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭theintern

I'm following up on this one with a bit of a technical question that I'm hopeful you may be able to help with.

Everything I've bought has worked a treat, with the exception of one part of the setup.

Unfortunately, my electrician when the house was being built, only ran one standard two wire speaker cable to the location where I installed the C165-T2.

The walls are now plasterboarded and closed and it's not simple to run a second cable. The speaker installer apparently 'looped' the cable when installing it in the ceiling to get a single cable feeding both speaker inputs.

So I have a stereo C165-T2 speaker, and a Yamaha RX-V677 that can output stereo sounds from Zone 2. But just a single two strand speaker wire between the two.

If I hook the cable up to my amplifiers Zone 2 output, it obviously expects two cables, one with + and - for Left and one with + and - for Right.

So I have the option of hooking up to the left channel, or the right channel. Naturally that just gives either L or R output which is generally not too bad, but results in some songs sounding really poor.

How can I get this to work so I get both sides of the sound at this speaker? I've read online about 'parallel' wiring but am concerned about damage to the amp.

I'm not too worried about pristine sound quality as it's a kitchen speaker. I'm also happy to buy a stereo -> mono converter or something if that's the best option.

Or even buy a new standalone amp that supports mono to power this speaker if that's the best option.

Or can I bridge the L and R down the same cable?

Any advice appreciated.

The diagram below is what I believe I have right now.

Zone 2                 C165-T2 Left
    L+ --------------------> +
    L- -----------------|--> - 
                    |   |
    R+              |   |  C165-T2 Right
    R-              |   |--> +
                    |------> - 

Hi Theintern.

That is a nightmare unfortunately.

There would be no way to get the C165 T2 to work correctly without the 2nd cable. As you only be getting half of the sound track. For the stereo sound you do need both left and right wires ran from the amp to teh speaker.

You would not be able to bridge the left and right as it still will not work correctly as you will still only be getting the parts of the full track.

Another option is that the Sonos Amp or Port can run in Mono.

"Sonos Amp and Port may optionally output mono instead of stereo. Dual Mono is ideal when speaker placement is not suitable for stereo listening (e.g. open spaces or outdoor configurations). When in this mode, a mono signal is sent to all speakers regardless of connection to an L or R terminal."

I'm not too sure what other devices might be available to convert to mono unfortunately.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.