Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguing over where to live

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miserablelivinghere

It didn't start over anything. It's literally just because our door opens on the street so it's easy to kick our door and run. It happens to several other houses in our estate.

We don't know who they are. They seem to be maybe 16/17, it's whatever gang is passing the house. Not even the same ones each time. We don't give chase they run off immediately. So it's not the reaction they are after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

ok this might help, there's a thread on cork city on boards here about a tik tok challenge there is a link in it, basically the challenge is to kick front doors as hard as they can, so i don't think this is a personal attack, hopefully that settles your worry, i'm sure it will blow over. I do have a suggestion for you, put a load of real heavy duty grease on the door and the poor lambs will have their runners ruined ! No way i'd move in your position hang in there and good luck with the baba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Here is the thread and opening comments with link

Hi. I live out the blackrock/mahon area and this has happened to me twice in the last few weeks. It happened on a Saturday night two weeks ago and I thought it was just random messing but it happened again last night. It is extremely unsettling as the kicks are full force and vibrate the whole house; I am worried they will break the door if it keeps happening.

I did some research online and I'm pretty sure it's related to this tiktok challenge - https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-police-across-uk-are-investigating-a-new-tiktok-heartbeat-challenge-20211028

Has anyone else experienced this in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Move. We bought in an estate with anti social behaviour, caused havoc between us as a couple, but eventually sold and moved and never been happier. We actually ended up moving close to family too. Very stressful but never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miserablelivinghere

We've watched them on camera and they don't seem to ever be recording it, literally just kicking it as hard as they can and running. We've gotten a ring doorbell to hopefully capture faces and have put up a cctv sign so hopefully that'll help for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So are they kicking the door, or kicking it in? There's a big difference, imo. One is annoying and yes, distressing but the other is on a completely different level.

If it's the latter I'd be on the "just move" side of the equation too, but if it's the former I'd be inclined to agree with you and try and wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Listen to your husband

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This happened in our estate a few months ago.

I am not advocating this, as I don't think it's legal, but the houses affected put a CCTV video up on a local FB page and made the point about it.It was taken down, but seen by quite a few first - the main offender's mother got wind of it and dragged her teenager over to make an apology the day after the video went up.

I also saw a few weeks later that someone put a post up on a local page about having the CCTV footage from their camera, and that they would be passing the footage on to the Gardai, if the offending continued.That may also be an avenue to explore.

Otherwise, I do think you meed to seriously consider moving over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The worst advice on this thread by a mile. Being a landlord is beyond stressful, seeing other people destroy what was your home is the most devastating thing ever, and it's not as rare as you'd like to think. Income tax and other rental expenses are huge. And that's before they try to find somewhere to rent themselves. So difficult across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if things calm down they can move back. Selling would cost them a couple of k in legal fees and estate agent fees.

I’m a landlord I know the drawbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's not targeted so that's good. It isn't a personal campaign against you which would be very distressing and hard to get past.

If they're kicking doors, they may soon get bored of it.

Is there any residents association / neighbourhood watch on your street? If it's happening to 10 houses (for example) then 2 adults from each household hanging around outside the houses for a couple of hours each night would be a detterent.

The metal grille idea would be an option for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Luckily there is very little anti-social behaviour like you described on our street. There is the odd nick-nack from the kids but nothing serious. The only time it happened was to my next door neighbour a couple of months ago where someone booted the door and damaged it. She had one of those door bells with a camera that recorded the incident. She put the footage on her Facebook and he was identified. The Gardai were involved and he had to pay for the damage to the door. Unsure if it will go further.

Its a very difficult situation. The more you do by confronting the perpetrators the more likely that they will continue but if they know they will be recorded in the act it may be a deterrent. But the risk is if they are determined to make your life a living hell they may just hide their face. If it’s happening to neighbours too, a neighbourhood watch is a good idea.

hope it stops soon and good luck with your new arrival.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Firstly I would contact all your local TDs. Complain to them.

Then I would complain to garda ombudsman. Say this issue is not being dealt with.

If all that fails then put the house on the market and then move.

The likelihood is you would have to rent for six months.

But even if that creates debt its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have you a window above the door? Could you lay in wait with a bucket of ice water for a few evenings?

You would let your decision to move or not rest on the efficacy of TDs and the Garda Ombudsman?

Are you being serious?

The TD and GO will do nothing. Because they and everyone knows it's not like they can spend our resources protecting privately owned front doors. TDs can't even deal with the stuff they should deal with, let alone become vigilantes.

Advertisement