Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Test after failing to reconnect with BM

Options
  • 30-10-2021 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I was adopted as a child and like many others have not been reunited with my BM or any blood relatives.

It eats me up in some ways but I understand that it's obviously a secret that's been buried for such a long time and not something she wants to confront and has likely been hidden from her new family etc.. so I've always tried to respect this.

I have a child of my own now and, as I have essentially no medical records I was considering doing a dna test to see if we are predisposed to any health issues.

I'm just a bit hesitant as if I had any dna matches it may potentially cause great confusion/expose secrets which have been buried for peoples entire lives.

Wonder if I could get any opinions either way as to whether this should be my concern or not ? I'm a little bit torn.

I tried to find a similar thread on this subject but couldn't see anything.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

We were researching branches of the family that emigrated after the famine and discovered distant cousins in US and Canada, but IDK if that type of geneaology test would help much for medical reasons. Afaik there is one testing company that includes health reports.

The popular dna tests could find lots of matches or none, but there's plenty of stories online about people who discovered new relatives or close family links from them. I think anyone who does a test knows full well beforehand what to expect, they know anything could turn up. Also, if you find matches it doesnt follow that there will be any communication, matches might not reply to messages etc. but you could find some interesting information like common surnames or ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TimL1974

Thanks for your feedback Mrslancaster. Much appreciated.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

This company include health reports, there's probably others. I heard an rte programme about this one a few years ago, blathnaid ni chofaigh and a few other well known people were talking about their results.

https://www.23andme.com/en-eu/?sub=ver2

I know someone who did the ancestry test & she discovered unknown family in the uk, her grandad had divorced in uk before moving to Ireland after the war, so testers need to be prepared for anything. Best of luck.

Advertisement