Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dicksonia versus Acacia

Options
  • 30-10-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I have a Dicksonia that lives happily outdoors in a large pot. When I got it it had a tiny sprig of something on the trunk which turned out to be a black acacia tree (acacia melanoxylon).

I'm not particularly attached to either of them but I'd like to give them both the best shot at survival.

Should I...

A: Leave them and see what happens?

B: Attempt to remove the tree and its roots intact and just hope the fern survives?

C: Destroy the tree and save the fern?

D: Take some other course of action so everybody gets a happy ending? For example I am told that if I chop it just above the acacia the part with the crown can be replanted and will continue to grow.

I'm attempting to attach photos to give you an idea of the situation.

The trunk of the Dicksonia is about two feet tall.

The acacia begins about 9 inches above the soil but I assume the roots run down into the soil.

The acacia is about 50 inches tall and the trunk is about 3/4 of an inch at the base.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it was me I'd just get rid of the Acicia and save the Dicksonia

Advertisement