Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV Charger on Old-Style Fuse Box?

• 30-10-2021 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

We'd like to get an Electric Vehicle Charger installed but we have an Old-Style Fuse Box - with the large round screw-in fuses

Would we need to convert the fuse box to a modern type with trip switches?

Thanks

E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s unlikely the mains cables will be big enough for the additional load required .

if you have the old dz2 fuse box then the chances are that the whole installation will need to be rewired and certified.

call a rec to inspect the installation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

its not the fact that you have fuses rather than more modern MCBs that is the issue. As above it would more likely be an undersized mains cable that will be the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Agreed with all the above.

The usual EV charger installed , in my case doesn't get fed from the existing fuse box as it requires 32 amp.

It's if you like,before that,has its own isolating switch,and RCD, kind of trip.

An alternative Ive also gone for is a Granny cable which will charge from any 13 amp domestic socket,without doing anything to the existing fuse box.In my case I've gone for a 10 amp charger,.

Goes without saying this is an overnight charge,and some argue is better for the battery.Cost around €200.

Good luck stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

EV or not. With the load required for modern living and all of the devices a household has these days you should get rid of that board asap. From a safety and fire aspect it needs updating. It was probably fine if the house had one occupant before and scant use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor.d2

Ok, thanks for all your responses. Do you know is it a big job to switch from a DZ2 to a MCB type fuse box? How much would it typically cost in Dublin would you say? (Obviously not looking for a quote but just trying to get an idea e.g. is it more like €100/€500/€1000??)

THanks

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

Replacement of an old fuseboard to an mcb board is not straightforward,requiring new mains cables,earthing and supplementary bonding. When this is done testing and certification is required. In my experience older installations won’t pass this testing process so my advice would be a full rewire.

Advertisement