Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut wire going into eircom cable box

Options
  • 31-10-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, Ive been tidying up before painting and I’ve accidentally cut the wire coming into the eircom socket in the hall - there’s an old alarm that the cables were fed through and I thought they were inactivate! Internet is now not working. There are 4 wires coming in (green, black, orange, white) and I need to connect to l1, l2 terminals in the eircom box but don’t know which ones to connect. Will this work? I intend to call eircom to fix properly but wondering if there’s a temporary solution to get internet. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hello km101.

Is the short section of wire not still attached to the terminals (assuming you cut it outside the box)? This would allow you to see which colors were connected where.

Assuming you've only one telephone line, only two of the wires are used. I'm not sure if the colors are standardised (at least, not reliably), perhaps someone else can comment on that.

One thing to be aware of: normally the voltage across the wires is low, but if someone happens to rings you, the voltage will increase significantly. You may get a small electric shock if you're touching the wires at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 km101

Hi Michael, thanks for reply. There were a blue with white and white with green wires connected to the terminals. These wires ran up the wall into the old alarm unit and attached to these four coloured incoming wires. Don’t know how to match them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the alarm still in use? If not use a length of ethernet cable and use one pair to the master socket.

Do you have access to a multimeter, if so check across any of the 2 wires for 50v DC, either wire can connect to either connection on the master socket.

Use gel/jelly crimp connectors to make the join - https://www.freetv.ie/jelly-crimp-connectors/

The crimps should be available in any electrical wholesalers locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 km101

Thanks the Cush. I don’t have a multimeter handy and can’t source jelly crimps today. I tried the different combinations just by twisting the wires together and didn’t have any luck but I’ll try to get some crimps tomorrow and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There will likely be just two of the 4 in use.... just remove the cover from phone plug-in and see which two and you need do is join back where broken and you away...

• Advertisement
Advertisement