Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Sligojoek

Options
  • 31-10-2021 3:06pm

Along with fellow Boardsies, who learned of the death of our friend, Sligojoek, this morning, I am saddened by the news. We had been hoping that he would be able to make something of a gradual recovery from his unexpected illness which happened a few weeks ago, but complications set it. 

He leaves behind his wife and young adult children who are on the cusp of their careers, and his wider family and circle of friends. 

His illness came swiftly and without warning and rendered him immediately unconscious. He underwent surgery and once he regained a level of consciousness he was booked in for future serious rehabilitation to regain as much of his life as possible. He might even have rejoined us posting on Boards again. Sadly this is not to be. 

May he rest in peace. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry to hear of his passing. Didn't know him other than via his posts that crossed with my interests in the Broadband, Satellite and some other tech forums. A curious and knowledgable poster who was always generous with his time.

To borrow a blessing from a Jewish friend of mine, which has always struck me as a far nicer way to commiserate the loss of a loved one rather than our own usual "sorry".

May his memory be a blessing, and a light in the darkness of the grief yet to come.

Sligo's Wit and humour will be sorely missed on boards. ¦¬c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Awh damn. That is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP Sligojoek

An absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’ll miss his banter ♥️

May he rest in peace xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Cant believe that. That's very sad news.

He was a great contributor here and will be missed. My thoughts are with his loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

Jesus that's dreadful news - a really nice person. Loved his music and regaling tales with Shane McGowan. RIP :(

He enjoyed a quite recent meeting with Shane where everybody was in good form. Sligojoek had appeared to be in very good form himself right up to hours before he took ill, he had just shared a hilariously funny comment with me through an app. Next day I heard he was critically unwell.

That's a lovely saying. Awfully sad and shocking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

RIP Joek ..felt like I knew ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Sorry to hear this, I knew him only slightly from the BBC4 and BBC4 music threads and a couple of the tech ones. Seemed like a thoroughly nice guy. I hope he's at rest.

He certainly would be at rest, he was enjoying life with his wife and children who are all content young people who caused him no worries at all. He had a lot of friends, though sadly some of them died unexpectedly in recent times, and caused some sorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

RIP sligojoek. I was only vaguely aware of him from the Motors and some other forums. Just had a look at some of his posts about the doom and gloom on Liveline and The Late Late Show which gave me a chuckle. Although his 3rd last post which presumably was very shortly before he became critically ill seems a little eerie now.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117949630/#Comment_117949630

His last app text to me, the evening before he took ill, had plenty of wry wit and mentioned about contaminated water in Tipp (years ago) making those who drank it “a beautiful corpse”. Like me, gallows humour was never far from his lips!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A quality poster and always came across as a really decent guy.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,079 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Terrible news. I would have seen him posting in the Sligo forum and as a mod I never had an issue with any of his contributions. My condolences to his wife and family and indeed everyone who knew him. RIP.

I never met Sligojoek, but chatted through social messaging and got to know him that way. Potentially would have met him along with other Boardsie friends but for various circumstances, not least being the pandemic. There were lots of funny chats over past couple of years. It definitely occurred to me he might not make it, but I was taken “by surprise”, especially this morning as I drove home from a shopping and suddenly a lovely thing he said to me personally sprang I to my mind, and I just welled up in tears. Whilst driving wasn’t the best time for it to happen, but unexpected moments of grieving can strike out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sounds like a good skin. May he rest in peace.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sad to learn this news. I wouldn't have engaged with Sligojoek on the boards here that often, but he seemed to be a lovely poster from his posts.

Another boardsie gone far too soon... 😥😔

Sincere condolences to Sligojoek's wife, children, wider family and friends - and may he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Very sorry to hear this, Sligojoek gave me some fantastic laughs over on the liveline thread, he had a great sense of humour, extremely witty and was exceptionally fast in delivering the laughs. Would have liked to have met him in this world for a few pints, will just have to wait for the next place and have a few with him then. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Nothing at all eerie about that. It's a totally normal day on the liveline.

RIP Sligojoek, you were always an intelligent poster, good craic and very funny on here as we listened to Duffy plumb the depths of awfulness.

My deepest condolences to his family at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

RIP

He was a good poster over on the motors forum. Fond of Toyota starlets if I recall correctly.

A great contributor in particular to the "what's the oldest car you saw on the road today?" thread.

Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Only knew him from his contributions on here which were often very funny especially on the late late and liveline threads.Very knowledgeable poster on many subjects like music and cars too.The kind of fella you'd love to have a pint with .

RIP and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Heartbreaking news. May he rest in peace. I hope his family gain some comfort in knowing how adored he was here, if they see this thread.

Rest in Peace Sligojoek x

His family have been in the motor repair business, so he grew up around all sorts of cars and indeed a car collector friend of his sad died only recently, suddenly too.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm very sorry to read this about Sligojoek, my condolences to all users who were friends with him and to his other friends and family too. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Sorry to hear of Sligojoek's passing.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Joe

• Advertisement

He will go to rest today. Last night was his Celebration of Life, which was a beautiful ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement