Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Full time job to become a carer

• 31-10-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction where I can get some advise. And maybe if anyone has done something similar I'd be interested in hearing you experiences.

Basically, my parents health has deteriorated badly over the last 3 weeks. One of them has been bad for the last few years however the other was able to manage look after them both. The last few weeks the roles have reversed and it is plain that they are not managing by themselves. I do live close by but can't be there everyday never mind 2 or 3 times a day.

I was thinking perhaps I should leave my job and become their carer until they are over this bad patch. First thing tomorrow morning I will be enquiring if my company do any kind of family care leave program that I could avail off. Assuming they do not I like to know if their would be any state benefit I could apply for if I did become their carer. Where would I find out this info?

If anyone has any links etc about leaving a full time job to become a carer to share please do.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement