Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying out ground rent

Options
  • 31-10-2021 6:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭

has anyone here done this? we were sent one of the possible phishing letters a couple of months ago by an irish based agency/solicitor, so we're almost certainly just going to buy out the ground rent and avoid any further hassle.

if anyone has done it, did you go for the consent or arbitration option with the PRAI? we don't know who the landlord is; our ground rent hasn't been collected in decades, so i guess our first step is to contact the bank our mortgage is with and ask for the copies of the relevant and required documentation. i suspect it's in their interest too to make that reasonably painless, and hopefully we can take it from there.

am i right in thinking that the general calculation on the purchase price is just the outstanding rent payments plus a handling fee? i have seen comment that it's usually around €1k to do this, but the PRAI don't seem to mention what method they use to calculate it on their website.

cheers

Advertisement