Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a HAP landlord

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

1 bed are the highest demand and shortest supply. You won't be considered for anything bigger so I wouldn't waste your time registering interest in what are family sized homes.

If the list is updated weekly, it would be interesting to see how long a property remains on the list.

I only found out about the scheme via a Facebook post linking to my local council. When I looked at the list, the area I knew they were all 3 beds bought by the council in private estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jaysus_1984

You're probably right. None of the steps I was advised to follow keeps me completely safe.

The only things that I can count on are a) people with stable jobs, where the jobs are linked to a visa, and b) an immigrant's visa term - once that ends, I get my house back pretty easily. Also, most such immigrants fastidiously follow rules and laws to avoid police trouble, so chances of antisocial behaviour are practically zero. They also tend to be good neighbours, for similar reasons.

Its easy to say "LLs like me who act inappropriately towards tenants", but when the laws are skewed against landlords, being more careful about the tenants I choose is the only recourse available to me. If evicting were simpler, and HAP didn't require a bunch of idiotic changes to my house, I would be a lot more confident with renting my house out. But its not, so, I need to take steps to protect myself, regardless of the anti-LL rhetoric that the media love to bang on.

So, I avoid HAP and problem tenants by sticking to a certain type of tenant. Given the job market, there won't ever be a shortage of indian immigrants with IT, bank or hospital (doctor) jobs - by far the most reliable. I won't say this to anyone coming to view, I'll just use the "I've got other viewings setup, will let you know if you're selected" line. So, no way to prove what I did, unless someone keeps a history of all the viewings and all the tenants and forms patterns - no one has that much time.

I know its unfair to the other good tenants who don't cause trouble, but it needs to be the government's job to protect me from the bad tenants as well, not just publish a bunch of one-sided laws. It just sends the message that I'm on my own and need to look out for myself - this is what being painted into a corner looks like.

Advertisement