Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 31-10-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

So, started using MFP about 2 weeks ago.I find mfp very good if a little dodgy sometimes , especially if you have to add in something manually as there are various options, with different values, I try to pick the middle ground

it has me at 1500 calories, I exercise every day and am “credited” 4-500 calories via the exercise per day.

thus I need 2000 calories, but I find it hard to get through this amount and nearly always have 4-500 left .

do I need to eat the 2000 to loose the weight? I assume as I am only doing the 1500 that I will loose the weight.

i would also like feedback on the idea I have heard that your body will hold onto the fat if you don’t meet you daily needs and thus won’t loose weight.. is this true?

thanks

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eating back energy you burn in the gym is counterproductive. It negates the point of exercise for weight loss in the first place. You’d be better off not exercising and not extra-eating.

how much you can eat depends on your BMR, body comp and activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My experience is that the MFP targets were a bit off - I'd use https://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

My n=1 is that I aimed for 500 calories deficit from food and 500 calories from exercise. i.e. I only credited anything more than 500 from exercise. My experience is there's a big variation in calorie "Burn" on different apps and devices (fwiw I've found Garmin to tie in with expected results) with the same inputs. I have a reasonable idea of my max heart rate, which can be important for the accuracy of burn. I updated the target calories weekly.

If you're not seeing results tweak the targets or check in the inputs/ accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Thanks for the comments. Indeed.. according to MFP the calories are configured to allow for weight loss, 1500 is what I need to eat to meet my weight loss goals.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Low carb diet tend to have better food control. Fullness factor on one hand and no crazy spikes of food craving to blame.

Advertisement