Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone answer the phone these days?

• 01-11-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Most companies I have tried to contact since covid have become hard to reach. Straight to voicemail "we are very busy please call again" recordings. They don't reply to emails either.

Anyone notice the same?

Comments

It's worse now than it was during the height of the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Took me two days to get through to my dentist last week. My wife was calling her doctor on Friday and couldn't get through at all, only managed to get them this morning. Brother spent ages on hold to Revenue on Thursday, with the message "You are next in the queue. Estimated time to answer your call is one minute" playing for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If it was the doctor / dentist who wasn't answering I would just show up if it's any way urgent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This was happening long before covid, utility and bizzarely COMMUNICATIONS companies pretty much stopped communicating verbally with customers, even if someone lucky enough to get through they go to phase 2 of deflection tactics, GDPR , probably the greatest tool ever invented to avoid giving straight answers or indeed any answers at all.

The primary tool of communication now is the dreaded CHAT facilities, some work fine, most infuriating, especially the Bot ones (robotic, artificial UN intelligence systems that presume there is only one or 2 issues a customer might have.

I just email, it annoys companies because they'll try and ignore but can't if an issue goes to formal complaint.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe try changing your number OP to see if people start answering again .........

• Advertisement

With regard to phoning, the problem is that calls ARE being answered, but there's a huge queue.

GDPR is not used to deflect. GDPR is a blasted nuisance and customer service advisors hate it.

They don't just decide to ignore emails. They have to answer them - they are monitored for response to emails. If the email is not replied to, it's because they didn't get it (why, I don't know - these fecking unexplained system issues are a plague; although sometimes it's because the customer sent it to the wrong email address). And a delay is due to a big queue.

Customer service is sh1t. Sh1t training, systems, communication, very few "powers" for the advisors, leaving their hands tied most of the time (causing frustration for both parties); terrible pay (so obviously high turnover), red tape rules all over the place. These factors obviously lead to crap customer service - but don't blame the advisor, blame those at the top. Companies don't really seem to care that much about customer service - it doesn't generate revenue. Commercial sales is their main priority.

But please just consider that advisors would prefer happy customers - they don't want to be dealing with angry customers. You can't honestly think they refuse to give info for the laugh, resulting in unhappy customers and confrontation.

I know customer service can be woeful but it's more complex than some of the stuff being made up on this thread. And I really hate seeing the way customer advisors get spoken to on social media, with the knowledge that they can't stand up for themselves. Nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Gdpr is just designed to protect user data and privacy, in the USA isps can sell your data to a 1000 company's for advertising purposes, including browsing data. There's a fight going on with Facebook and the EU, re can they send data to America from EU users to American servers.

Most office workers are working from home. If a company doest answer phone calls its because of lack of staff or they want to save money on customer service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I find the customer chat service very useful and easy to use

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm getting too many scam calls because our phone companies are only interested in a quick buck.

I might go back to answering unsolicited calls if I know they are blocking the scammers and getting punitive fines for not trying harder.

Also means I'm making fewer calls to people who don't know my number so phone company is loosing future business.

Advertisement