Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support the idea of Irish Law Enforcement carrying more coercive weapons?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the amount of scummery won't subside with death being a bi-product of dealing with the police.

what deals with scummery is more police and locking them up, not weapons as the scum will just get their own.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Studies have shown the great importance of having police on the beat when it comes to reducing crime.

Instead of having the Gardaí rolling down the North Quays in a Lenco BearCat and armed to the gills, let's get back to the simplest and most effective form of deterrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

your not adding anything to this conversation but proving the point of pre existing issues

home invasion ? do you mean residential burglary ?

my point about proper resource would seem relevant

why do you want gardai to throw themselves into a room of gunfire ? no person would ever do that your not talking sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How many dead scumbags have re-offended, ever, in any country?? At the very least, 1 death would be a subsistence of 1. Maths not your strong point??

Your allegedly a cop and don't know the difference between a residential burglary and a home invasion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

ya home invasion is a american term , never used in Ireland , and who said i was a cop ?, i mean are you a fandy? mo

There is no such thing as a residential burglary or home invasion in this country.

Every guard should have a Taser, reason being that they are a lot safer then the steel baton that they carry. Would you rather get a belt of a steel baton or a little shock that has no after affects?

Apart from that, there are plenty of firearms holders in AGS, nearly too many.

Also, the OP has some seriously worrying threads......I visualise a white supremacist type person sitting in their bedroom....possibly the type that shoots up schools in America.

Sorry Mikethecop, I’ve no idea where I got the idea you were a cop.

And for a term never used in Ireland, it’s used quite a bit, maybe you should tell the media?? I’ll get on to Stevethereporter, oh no, he’s not a reporter.

“A manpointed out the home of an innocent family to a group of men looking for his friend who owed them money leading to a “terrifying” home invasion, a court has heard.”

“Man (30s) charged in relation to home invasion and aggravated burglary”

“A woman who was awoken by a burglar who was armed with a knife was injured in a confrontation during a home invasion in Kildare.”

“TWO West Clare brothers who subjected their aunt, uncle and young cousins to a ‘terrifying home invasion’ ordeal two years ago have walked free from court.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That would be another no, since you have completely failed to convince me.

Also have you every served? Do you know what is like to be issue weapons, be authorised to take human life on be the of the sate, know that in the next few hours you may meet someone that will without hesitation take your life because the believe you are armed? I find people that take about tooling up usually expect someone else to do it for them.

Doesn't matter what the media say, there is no such offence in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's ultimately irrelevant since even with that individual gone there is someone else to replace, therefore death doesn't bring down the rate over all.

my maths is fine, thanks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

arraignment is another American term in everyday use here... we have switched to US Emglish... the power of the Corporations...

DUI charge... another one from a tread heading here...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The best person to actually answer this would be a member of the force because the rest of us don't really know if it would be a good idea or not.

Although I think it would be no harm if they could give the inbred scobes that abuse them on a daily basis a good kick in the nuts to soften their cough.

Or go back to pre independence police baton.. 62cm mounted police baton.

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/dublin-metropolitan-police-batons/

With regards Spain and visiting with young children.. The Civil Guard run areas appear the safest.. the fear factor is great in that case. Seen them round up drunken british yobs in a mainly Spanish resort

On a person to person beat-cop level, what officer in their right mind, unarmed, wants to engage a bunch of chavvy trash delinquents?

And that's what we see.

There's beat cops, not too many, and they'd engage a couple drunk college students or a J-walker, but a bunch of potentially violent thugs?

I mean, that scene in Eyre square where that ****face from Dublin shot the explosive into the 19 yr/old girls face, popping her eyeball (yes, confirmed via both clinician and main stream media), I would have absolutely no beef if an armed officer shot him in the leg say, or pistol whipped him.

But we all know they wouldn't even so much as engage him (who needs the hassle?) - and they didn't.

It is only very recently the news media use this word when reporting from courts in this country...

The media do not decide what is legal terminology. Just because they didn't use it until recently, not sure if that's true, it is still a legal term.

In the way that home invasion may be used by the media, but there is no such offence here in Ireland. The offence is aggravated burglary.

No one is worried about using them, they are trained in the use and the legal use of same.

• Advertisement

I think we are losing our language to US English... but i suppose this is progress...

What kind of stupid is that?? There are a finite amount of people. When a scumbag dies, a normal person doesn’t suddenly decide to be scum to take their place. Of course the number reduces by one. It’s mind-numbingly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

What kind of stupid is this post?

People get convicted and sent to prison, it doesn't effect the amount of people that commit crime.

If one of those people in prison, by their own hand or someone else's die, it doesn't affect the amount of people that commit crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I see this thread is going the usual route....

I spent 10 years as a Garda. Never heard arraignment. Never heard home invasion. Never heard residential burglary. It's Burglary (if no one is home), or Aggravated Burglary (you guessed it, if people are at home). If the media want to suck at the tit of Americanisms, let them off, but in Irish Law home invasion is 100% not a thing.

Gardai already have pepper spray and ASP (extendable baton) as standard. Some detectives are armed, but all don't routinely carry. ERU/RSU are mobile so may not be nearby when needed.

People comparing the dangers of a cop vs other industries. Name one other industry where the people (people, not animals or fish) you deal with may try to hurt or kill you that isn't a form of entertainment (prison officer is 1 I can think of, but somewhat related). It's not fair to say that a person dealing job is less dangerous than cray fishing in crazy oceans. It's not comparing like for like. Being a cop is one of the most dangerous person to person jobs out there. And just like the reply to cops when they mention this, nobody is forcing the cray fishers and other extreme job people to do it, so they can also leave and get a less dangerous job... And it's usually something thrown out by the anti-cop brigade.

Someone else mentioned it, it's not a case of arming Gardai, or giving them more weapons to deal with scum. As rightly pointed out, scum will just get bigger/more dangerous weapons. It's the judiciary and legal system that is the problem here. No prison spaces. Massively reduced sentences for no reason. Early release for even problem prisoners. There's just nothing to be afraid of. I personally think that if you go to prison, it should be 100% solitary confinement. Why should you even get a moment of fun when you've committed a crime? We're rewarding, not punishing.

And I don't believe this whole treatment so they won't do it again craic. It's all BS. Yes, some might never re-offend, but let's be realistic here, most will. Most do. Most will continue to do. Offer the service, but failing to cooperate or repeat offending should remove you from having that opportunity imo. Spend all that time and effort on the injured parties instead.

So yeah, more prisons, longer terms, less "human rights", and then we'll have something that criminals may not want to be part of. Won't happen though. Too many bleeding hearts in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Closing this as it's predictably turning into another vigilantism and fantasy violence thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement