Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree Sheep

Options
  • 01-11-2021 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Been keeping commercial sheep for a couple of years I am a young farmer at 28 years old.

I have always been interested in breeding and showing pedigree sheep, I know a lot of people would say your mad but I am not doing it for the money doing it for the passion and the social aspect.

I am a big fan of texels so I am toying with purchasing in lamb ewes 5 hopefully so I can join the society and then buy a top top Ram next year at one of the sales retaining all ewe lambs born this year.

just wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

I have all the facilities to lamb indoors etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

a member of our lamb group bought three texel rams and lost the three of them to texel throat, a friend bought two texels and the lost the two at only two year old with texel throat. A lot of rams in the texel premier had breeding similar to my friend two rams.

I'd hate to see a new breeder buy five ewes and with those breeidng lines so do your research, Talk to Willie Hutchinson in Kilkenny to get advice on avoiding texel throat, he's a very concientious texel breeder

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JayBally

Thank you for the advice really appreciate it.

I am not fully committed to Texel just want to go the pedigree route where there is a high demand for the offspring?

Advertisement