Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is using my assigned parking slot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you not read his post. He was saying that if one believes that the OP should let someone else just use their space because the OP isn't using it, then the same standard could apply to holiday homes. i.e. if you have a holiday home, and aren't using it, then you should let someone else use it. He never mentioned breaking and entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

It is included. I checked my lease yesterday before posting. As stated before, the parking spot number is even stipulated in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Also, I forgot to say, when I moved in, I asked to see where the parking spot is located, which the agent showed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

I've never read so many get so wound up over nothing.

It's fairly likely that someone noticed a parking spot lying empty for months, and have understandably taken a chance that nobody would notice or care if they parked there. Automatically assuming the worst in people can't(?) be all that enjoyable.

Calm down, stick a polite note on the car and most likely the problem will disappear. If they continue to park there afterwards, then you're totally in the right to be pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The inference being the house would be used without permission, and as we all tend to lock our homes …….. Jeez, people are getting wound up over nothing, it’s a car parked in a space, leave a note, there are bigger problems in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well I didn't take that inference from it. He didn't say that people shouldn't mind if they found out that others had used their house without permission. He appeared to be (rhetorically) asking in advance that it could be made available going forward

Anyway, if you read it differently then you read it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thread's full of nutcases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Better a thread full of nutters than a parking spot full of cars😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I wish I had an empty parking space to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

leave a note and offer to rent it, or that future parking will result in clamping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If it's more than a once off, leave a note. They'll probably move on to another unoccupied space. If it's a 2 car household in your apartment block with only one allotted space, then it's no big deal.

If it's someone who doesn't live there and is using your underground parking because it's handy for work/train station etc. then I would possibly follow up with the Mgmt. Company. That stuff gets worse with word of mouth. After a while, it becomes a free for all and non-residents start using your bins. The risk of crime increases etc.

I had an allocated space that was narrow and too close to a wall so I got into the habit of using a more convenient 'guest' space a lot of the time. Someone parked in my space now and then and ignored notes to move. Eventually they parked there and apparently hopped on a plane to Australia or wherever. The car rotted there for almost a year and the Mgmt. Company were useless. Just kept putting more warning stickers on it 🙄

I would nip it in the bud early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

+1 this is most likely what has happened. When I bought my house it came with a numbered parking space out front but the house had been empty for several months and the house next door had got use to parking their second car there. It took a few weeks for them to get out of the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can't sleep in your parking space, it's not allowed. Also, a holiday home in France or Spain is much much different to a parking space, they have bedrooms, bathrooms, personal spaces and are subject to wear and tear.

If you google "holiday home in France" and then google "parking space" when you get home from the creche you'll see these very obvious differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Is this a wind up thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Property is property. If its your property, then someone else can't use it without permission. Be it a parking space, a holiday home in Spain or a pair of shoes. Doesn't matter what the property actually is.

Of course, you already know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Legally, maybe, but in reality, I don't think anyone would really think of it the same way. I have an assigned parking space that I do use, but if I was on holidays for a week and found out when I came back that a stranger put their car in my spot for 2 days while I was gone, I might be mildly annoyed about it, but I really wouldn't care that much and wouldn't be interested in following it up. At most I'd probably just be hoping they didn't try that again some time when they'd be blocking me out of the spot.

If, on the other hand, I found out a stranger had actually come into my apartment and slept in my bed for 2 nights, that would be a very different story, and I really doubt a single person here would sincerely think they are the exact same, regardless of their stance on the whole parking situation.

No. There's different types of property. A car parking space is a much different thing than a home. Also, a pair of shoes are much cheaper and easier to replace than a holiday home.

Of course you obviously don't know this (I do)... If you google a pair of shoes and look up what they are and compare price to a holiday home in France you'll see. Then Google a car parking space and how difficult it would be to live in one, cooking, keeping food, sleeping etc..

There's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

What has all that got to do with the fact that your property is exactly that- yours?

And nobody else is entitled to use it without your permission.

Comparing the price of a pair of shoes and a house in France is just deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

They should be dragged out into the street and shot Joe!

The OP should run them over in his car . oh wait ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to work with this guy who'd keep an eye on the parking spaces in his apartment complex, and any spaces that weren't used in a while he'd rent out. He made a fair bit of money that way and the people who paid him had no idea. OP, if I were you I'd just leave a note that it's your space and not to use it anymore.

Post a note on their windshield. Tell us what happens.

Otherwise this thread has no purpose.

I think you worked with a guy that told you he'd keep an eye on the parking spaces in his apartment complex, and any spaces that weren't used in a while he'd rent out. He also told you he made a fair bit of money that way and the people who paid him had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Post edited by miezekatze on

Do you give away things you don’t use? What about a spare bedroom - to stick with property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Option 1: Stick a note on windscreen - total time = 10 mins - potential resolution.

Option 2: Whine on boards - total time = hours/days - zero chance of resolution

What if the door was open?

The op is paying for exclusive rights to two forms of property here - the rooms in his apartment and the car parking space. Both are indoors but that’s not relevant.

He may not be using the car parking space but he may also not be using a room in his apartment.

And even if you don’t have a car you can get some use of a car parking space, or when people visit, or you reset

it’s literally the same as having a driveway that’s not being used and your neighbour sees this and uses it because street parking is difficult. If you agreed, or he paid, it’s fine. If not, tis not.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yeah but has the OP determined if the car is in his space every evening or was it just a once off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus Christ, the empty house comparison is beyond stupid. Houses have additional costs, utilities, wear and tear that occur when someone uses them. Car parking spaces don't. It's 4 square metres of concrete. Someone parking in the OP's empty space costs the OP nothing.

I appreciate the primal hoarder kicks in when people invade "your" space, but a polite note is all that's needed. Actually spending money, time and effort, to keep a piece of unused empty space, empty and unused, is just completely illogical.

OP, if you buy a €100 car and park it there, you are obliged to have it insured. You're wasting your money.

If you insist on making sure it's being used, you could get yourself a small steel shed and put it there instead. Practical too.

Advertisement