Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish nicknames

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Bloody Roman names.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

"...Paudie. But apparently that isn't common. ..."

That shouldn't matter. If it's what you like, use it.

But why do you say it's not common? If you are going by the CSO database of Baby Names, then a short version of a name (Paudie, Pat, Bob, Tony, Tom etc) is always going to appear less common in that list than the full version (Patrick, Robert, Anthony, Thomas) even though the short versions could be very common in actual usage. Eg, most people called Tony are probably registered as Anthony on their birth certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ireland75

I haven't really come across any Patricks that go by Paudie's nowadays. I think it was used years ago but not used much now. I think the consensus that I'm getting is that I might get a few raised eyebrows nowadays if I went by Paudie short for Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

I know some Paudies, but you are right it is probably not very common. But nowadays people are very used to hearing various foreign and unusual names and I don't think there would be any raised eyebrows. I know some people with very individual or unique names. They are they only people I ever heard of with those names, but for me it's just their name. It makes no difference to most people how common someone else's name is. The only issue is possible difficulty with pronunciation or spelling, but if parents ruled out picking baby names for those reasons they would be left with a very limited list of names.

But after considering your options, if you have changed your mind and want to use Pádraig then that would be fine also.

As other posters have mentioned, it can be difficult to get people to use your preferred name. For example, many people seem to address people by names such as Paddy or Mick or Tom even if they would prefer to be addressed as Patrick, Michael or Thomas. Sometimes they follow what they hear other people saying, but sometimes they do this for new people they are meeting for the first time, and when they are told the full version of the name just assume that it's ok to use the short version.

And there are very many people in Ireland who are called by one name at school, at work, in the pub, in the street, but then are called by their original name when they go home to Mammy, or go to visit Granny.

Yeah, I get a lot of Paddy and Pats all the time. That's kind of the reason I was thinking of going by Padraig as I wouldn't mind being called Paudie or Padraig as much. I think I might just stick with Patrick for the moment and in a year or two might switch to Padraig more if I feel the same. I'm still only in my mid 20s so think I have a while to think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Plenty of Páidís in Gaeltacht areas, very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

Yes, as above. I live in rural Ireland and I know lots of Paudies. Some are young kids christened 'Paudie' and not a longer version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some Irish language enthusiasts delight in annoying other people simply because they can. Combine that with the power trip of being a teacher and you get this.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably not many registered as Paudie, unless there is an exceptional concentration local to you. In the 11 years 2010 to 2020 inclusive a total of 92 Paudies were registered in the whole country. The top years were 2017 and 2020 with 13 each. 2010, 2011 and 2016 just 4 each.

It seems to have been a revival in recent years, because fewer than 3 (which I think is CSO language for zero) were registered in each of the 11 years before 2010. And probably further back but I did not look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know more than one person who's called three versions of their actual name, depending on who's calling them, e.g I know someone who's called Elizabeth only by her mother, Liz at work and Betty by her husband. It's funny because nobody in each group would ever call her by the other names, it'd feel odd, so nobody at work would ever call her Betty. Ditto for John/Sean/Jack. Lots of Deborahs go by Debbie, etc.

I think I'm just going to end up going by Pàdraig mostly from now on. If anyone asks I'll just say I prefer it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Debbie as a given name had a bit of popularity in the 1970's, but only 3 were registered in 2020. Liz and Betty are new in recent years, but very few registrations. These are parents choosing to register the name Debbie, not Deborah, and Liz and Betty, not Elizabeth.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm sure there are lots of Tim, Tom, Jim and Shay around, too, and those would be their actual names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement