Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table saw advice

Options
  • 02-11-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I have an Evolution Fury 5 table saw, and I'm looking to upgrade to something with a better fence.

I'm considering the Evolution Rage 5S, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it better quality than the Fury? How accurate is it?

I understand it has a lower rpm than other table saws due to the multi material blade - should this be a cause for concern?

What's the difference between it and the Evolution R255PTS in screwfix?

It'll be used for hobbyist woodworking - so a little bit of everything. but my requirements are a decent fence, and decent size top.

Are there any better alternatives to consider? Budget is around €600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Do you need the multi material part.

Does your current saw do multi material

I would go for a dewalt 745. Great saw. I see loads on sites and they are tough and powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Current saw does multi material, but I've never used it, and don't need it.

The reason I didn't consider the dewalt was it looked much smaller - but looking at the specs it seems to have a similar rip capacity.

The 745 seems to be discontinued though - Is the DWE7485 its successor?

not sure if its discontinued

makita and bosch do similar saws . not used either but have dw 745.

i would rather have small saw that is better and build a outfeed table to support material better

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

It seems the DWE7485 is the replacement for the DW745. It has a smaller blade (216mm vs 254mm) but a larger rip capacity (622mm vs 508mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I have the Dewalt DW745 and like it. Currently have an issue with a wobble, that I haven't been able to trace to the blade or spindle yet. So haven't really been using it lately until I get to the bottom of the problem.

• Advertisement

have you a dial indicator

mark the blade , arbor and washers with a line. then turn the blade 180 degrees in relation to the original position on the arbor. if this makes it better or worse its the blade. if not try another blade and do the same.

do the same for the washers and see if they are changing the wobble

if all of those are fine then get a felt tip pen and colour in the arbor . clamp a scriber in a way that it can be moved forward to kiss the arbor as its rotated. aim to just clip the high side and not all the way round.

i had to do this with my 780 chop saw. all 3 were bent unfortunitly . the blade and washers were easy fix but arbor was too expensive to replace so i left it. its a site saw so not too bad. its very little anyway. but it was a nightmare to track down

I don't have a dial indicator, but was figuring I can make something similar that should work from a combination square.

Turns out the blade was warped. Had a check using combination square and slow mo video on iPhone.

Dumped that blade, and put the original back on. It's not a fine blade, so the search is on for something better.

thats good. at least its not something more expensive .

Yeah, I wasn't looking forward to having to spend on a big repair at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement