Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical shotgun/rifle/pistol competition

Options
  • 02-11-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have seen videos from the UK and the US where people generally shoot a high capacity s/a shotgun and run rapid fire drills and reloads generally running around a course does anybody know if this goes on in the republic of Ireland someone once told me it is illegal but only applies to shotguns and pistols in this the case??

It seems like a very interesting shooting discipline help much appreciated

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

This would fall under the banner of practical or dynamic shooting, which unfortunately is banned irrespective of the firearm used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irishshooter32

That is seriously disapointing Its a bit ridiculous really we are hardly going to be forming a militia

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I would be very interested in something like this being done, as "active" as possible while staying within a range's auth from both the AGS and range inspector, but the devil is going to be very much in the details.

I suspect something that would involve multiple targets, several shots, movement, etc would be possible, but likely very specific to navigate the auth's guidelines, such as no moving with a firearm, so instead of starting off at 50m holding a firearm and running to 30 and taking shots it could be start off at 50, run to 30, pick up and load firearm staged at 30 and then take shots?

I do think that if there is the interest there is certainly a possibility of a decently active set of competitions that could be devised.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've seen this kinda done here. The firearms are not moved between firing points but are put unloaded, magazine/ammo by the side, on a table. The shooter then moves without a firearm between the different firing points to shoot.

Rifle, shotgun and pistol are used with targets at different distances at the safe firing points. The shooter when reaching the firing point loads the firearm, shoots, unloads, and puts the firearm down in a safe direction and then moves on to the next firing point. Match is timed with the end when the last firearm is made safe, put in a safe direction on the table, and the shooter shouts 'finished'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Interesting!

Mind sharing what the name of the comp was or the range?

I'd love to give that a shot(pun very much intended 😁).

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We could shoot those types of competitions here...

IF we got our acts together and could sit down with AGS/DOJ and hammer out exactly WHAT they define as "combat training" IE what upsets them? Scenarios and stages being shot? Types of positions, layouts etc??? We could use the German IPSC rulebook that lays out EXACTLY what is prohibited and considered "combat shooting" [which has been illegal there since 1945] Yet has the strongest growing segment of shooting in the IPSC style matches and scenarios with the blessings of the German police forces and shooting sports bodies. Any professional who carries a firearm as part of their work that says IPSC pr practical shooting is a form of modern combat training for firearms is either [a] a complete idiot or [b]has never done any live fire training or [c] never seen an IPSC match from start to finish to make such a statement. I've yet to see an IPSC match that requires a stack of shooters outside a door piror to a dynamic entry into a room or a live shooting scenario where the hostiles obligingly stay in one fixed position and the police can come in 3 times to spot all the angles of fire and do a round count and have to clear the place under time pressure.

Oh and finally we would need new blood and some leadership in the dinosaurs who represent IPSC in the Republic to actually want to make an effort at getting the sport going again,not just skulk of to NI to shoot matches up there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement