Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you self-pay for an operation?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@FonE with your post here and another thread I strongly suggest you see at least a different GP for a second opinion on these issues

Grem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is something I remember very well in the Uk, with the NHS, as a short cut...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Update - I saw a consultant on Saturday. He has said he will operate on October 21st, a disk decompression. 4-6 weeks recovery time all going well.

It's spinal surgery and general anaesthetic but because of bed shortages in CUH, it will have to be done as a day procedure which means I'd be sent home that same evening. Kinda concerned about that because he made a point of asking how far away I lived which I assume means the closer I am to the hospital the better just in case of post-operative complications. He also works in the Mater Private and there would be no question about an overnight stay there but my insurer won't cover me for that hospital.

I'm 35 miles away if I go home. I'm wondering if I should book a hotel in Cork city and stay there (my boyfriend would be with me) just in case I did need an ambulance or doctor during the night.

On another note - my GP decided to cut back my pain medication from 60 a month to just 40 without even consulting me and very condescendingly told me "not to get excited" when I challenged him on it and asked why a simple phone call to discuss it with me hadn't been done. He even asked me "Why are you on them?" - Do doctors not EVER read your file on the computer they sit in front of? So angry I could've throttled him. He's agreed to prescribe the missing 20 but it's the principal of it, changing medication without telling the patient is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Besides post-op complications (rare), a long drive after surgery is never particularly fun, particularly on bumpy roads. I suppose you want to weigh up the advantages of being in your own bed (not having to get up and out at a set time in the morning) vs the bumpiness of the roads home.

As mentioned above, it sounds like a change of GP might be in order, if there's another one nearby you can see.

I finally got word that my health insurance will cover the operation so at least I don't have to fret about that anymore.

I was talking with a friends husband who had similar surgery 8 weeks ago in a private Cork hospital as he has higher level health insurance than I do. He was kept in until 1pm the following day. He also had his pre-op assessment in person and had bloods taken, etc whereas mine is being done "virtually" via phone call.

I have an option of staying with my boyfriend which is 17km from the hospital rather than the 50km to my own place. I could stay with him for a few days and then make the rest of the journey home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Noeldock

Hi FonE

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, but after years of suffering with lower back pain which morphed into painful sciatica down my right hip and leg for past 2 years something changed 2 weeks ago leaving me barely able to walk with the pain shooting down my right hip and leg. I was sent to A&E Immediately by my GP with a request for urgent Mri and an evaluation by a neurosurgeon. I spent 4 days there and was well looked after. Received pain meds and got Mri done. Although I was not seen by neurosurgeon he did review my scan and diagnosed Severe Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. As he judged this did not require emergency surgery I was discharged back to my GP and will be called to the Neurology out patient clinic for ongoing evaluation in 6 weeks, and also a recommendation to engage with a Physiotherapist.

My GP has advised me that this scenario is probably entry to a merry go round of out patient appointments where nothing will probably ever be done and has set about getting an appointment for me to see a neurosurgeon privately

I have no medical card or no Health insurance, could never afford the later a d never qualified for the former.

I am in constant searing pain and even with pain meds can only spend a few minutes sys time on my feet.

As a farmer my lively hood is at serious risk so will have no choice but to proceed privately and suffer the costs.

Can you let me know which surgeon you dealt with, was the outcome successful, how are you now and what the final costs looked like

Thank you Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Da_Timo

Would be interested in finding out more too as I’m going through similar issue last few years.

Post edited by Da_Timo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I see your point, however A&E is for far more then ‘life threatening’ issues…. Accident and emergency

For anyone interested - I had my operation almost 8 weeks ago now. It all went ok thankfully, I was very nervous as it had to be done as a day case (not normal procedure - no beds in CUH) so I had surgery from 9am-11.30am and was sent home at 4pm. If I told you walking along the seemingly endless hospital corridors and maneouvring myself into a car seat was an ordeal that would be understating it. The surgeon wasn't able to insert a titanium mesh that he'd hoped to but he did nevertheless remove ligaments from my back to make space for the impinged nerves that were causing me pain. I vaguely remember him speaking to me while I was still groggy from surgery so I'm not even sure I'm remembering all that correctly. There's been zero follow-up and yes, I know I could make an appointment to see him but it would cost me another €100 to do that so I'm not going to.

I still have some pain, different to what I had before though so hopeful that the surgery worked and the pain I have is part of the recovery process and readjusting to sitting down again - which I hadn't been able to do since June or July 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry for all the ....there is no word. I am English and most of my life with the NHS which has appalling problems too but not on this scale. And so glad you are through as much as you are - and thank you for posting as I wondered if you had had better treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

You really should make a follow up appointment. You should be checked by the consultant. And €100 is very cheap! Try and get the money from somewhere.

After 8 weeks post op your pain should have decreased dramatically.

Try and go get yourself seen. The whole thing was very rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

How are you now FonE? Hope all is good with you

I am good thank you. I am now able to sit down for long periods, although I'm still alternating with the standing desk at work because I just don't want the problem I had to return (or at least not for a long time - it may well do as the issues I have are not fixed entirely by surgery). I travelled by train a few weeks ago and did 2 hours sitting without being in pain or going numb - it's all progress. My only limitations now are bending, I can tie my left shoe for example but can't do my right. If that's all the issue I have though, I'll take it anyday over what I went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Take a week off work. Present in A&E and be prepared to spend the week camping out there until you are seen to. And call into every national and local liveline type show you can think of while there. Dig in refuse to budge, even if they threaten to call the Gardai. Let them call the Gardai. Good fodder for Joe Duffy and will work in your favour when you've to tell joe to hold because the HSE have the Gardai here to take you away.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Advertisement