Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to England

Options
  • 02-11-2021 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I’ve recently moved to England and need a British crank account for my wages etc. I have been advised to switch to a new bank and close my current account but I would rather keep my Irish account for when I travel home. What would be my best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Can you not open a new Bank account in the UK with any bank??

You maintain your Irish bank account for when your home.

What option are you looking for from the Boards BOI reps?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Set up a new uk account, keep the Irish one. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

It would be completely your decision on whether you close your BOI account or not.

Please note that there will need to be some frequent activity on the account, transfers, payments etc. in order for the account to remain active. If there is no activity on the account for a long period of time then the account may become inactive or automatically close.

Thanks, Eve

UK here...

BOI will charge you money for keeping the bank account open, currently €72 a year (€6 monthly).... you could argue certain types of accounts waive this, but if you're not funnelling through regular cash, it will revert to this standard current account, with the charge...

If you're OK with this, cool....

Alternatives are, if you need an Irish account:

• Open a credit union current account
    • Open an account with N26 (I think they still don't charge fees)
    • Open an account with Revolut (make sure it's an Irish IBAN, some user accounts in Ireland have UK IBAN's)

For a UK account for simply getting your wages into, go to Llloyds, they have a basic account which you can open with an address letter and your passport....

Unfortunately for a lot of accounts (and things in general that require a credit/identity check) unless you have 3 years of addresses in the UK or a guarantor, you won't have access to them.

Advertisement