Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More housing objections by the opposition and Boyd Barrett.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

It's literally self-harming to object to new housing...

Housing that will push up prices for you,

Housing that likely won't accommodate you,

Really? You think THATS self-harming? Lol

You are completely and utterly ignoring the facts of the matter and replacing them with your imagination. And I very much doubt they are your own thoughts, they have been implanted.

Again, and again, and again...79% of the people housed in these things are non-irish, and it is the expert opinion that they ALSO raise prices for everyone else.

It is yet another example of why accommodation costs just keep going up and up and up. You've all been brainwashed into cheering on your own demise.

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You don't understand the concept.

Affordable housing relates to the average working person/family.

Yeah Bono's mansion was affordable to him. Very clever.

The facts are that driving off cliffs will kill you.

"Jesus, it's like people are dense!" He says, as he drives off a cliff.

What don't you understand? What is your major malfunction?

79% of that housing is not for Irish people, all the evidence tells you that it RAISES PRICES FOR EVERYONE.

You have some bloody cheek to be calling others dense!

You're going to have to be brought in for de-programming, I'm afraid. Like many.

The facts are the facts. If you ignore them, they are still the facts.

They are making fools of people like you, they have convinced you to such an extent that you literally can't believe reality any more. No, "supply" isn't the problem, and that's evidenced by the increasing prices every single damned year.

They're lying to you. Stop being a mug for them, while dragging everyone else down too.

If the price is being met prices won't lower.

When 'we over built' coincided with the country going bankrupt and investment drying up. Very much related. In part why FF/FG allowed us get raped by vulture and cuckoo funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely the more apartments or houses built in this country the better?

Not everyone might be able to afford certain builds, but increasing the overall number has to be a good thing?

• Advertisement

Mate, the price of these apartments is going to be met by wealthy foreign families paying for their darlings to live in luxury.

It won't lower anything for you, because it isn't for you. It won't lower prices elsewhere for you either, because the vulture funds just used up another block of space, and all they want is MAXIMUM price for themselves. You aren't going to benefit from this.

Irish students have stated they don't want it. Experts have said it raises prices for everyone else, everywhere else.

They're selling you (and the rest of us) porkie pies. They've convinced people that "supply" is the problem, that allows them workaround to get their max profit.

You are being used. And you're not going to get a look in, this stuff isn't built by you, for you, or with your life in mind. Whatsoever.

I think people need to re-frame this whole situation.

Instead of a housing crisis, let's say it's an energy crisis, an oil crisis.

So, energy costs are becoming exorbitant. The cute hoors will come along and tell you, 300 different ways, that you need more energy. You need "more supply".

Then, they go ahead and say they'll build extra oil derricks. And they do. But!! Oil prices keep going up, weird!

And then you look into the whole story, and you find out...

1) the oil they are pumping out of the ground, your oil, is being exported.

2) the ones building the oil derricks are absolutely raking it in.

3) the more oil they take out of the ground, the more you're going to pay because there's LESS oil actually for you and your needs.

That's what's happening here. They are promising that letting them build more housing is going to solve your problems, but the reality is that it's going to line their pockets, and it's going to INCREASE your costs.

It sounds counterintuitive. But the devil, as they say, is in the detail. And every single detail points in one, single direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because Ireland.

And yes, it is a lot like everyone suddenly woke up and realized it was a problem because we are pathetic at planning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

One problem is the enormous costs here involved. The government get a fortune in tax on a new build. I would love to see what percentage could be saved, by going single aspect apartment and reduce lifts etc...

"Richard"?

Listen, I've pointed out statistics and quotes from experts that say you're getting the arse ripped out of you, and yet you are still batting for wealthy foreign families in the slim hopes that it'll trickle down to you.

Not going to happen.

This country WILL be left without an arse in it's trousers BECAUSE we are getting robbed right now.

The shucksters will leggit with their briefcases full of our money, and you and most of the population will be left scratching their heads about how their indoctrinated virtue signalling machines didn't actually amount to anything in the end.

And then you'll emigrate, perhaps.

I'm not your enemy, it's the ones telling you "we're all great buds!" while counting their cash that are robbing you.

And if you don't believe the facts and figures and expert opinions...just wait and see. Wait another year and watch prices increase, and another, and another, and another. You'll see.

For now, I'll say it again, 79% of these developments are for non-irish, and the experts say the only consequence is an increase in prices for everyone. Et voila.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Also if they built far more two beds, than one beds, it gives so much more flexibility and floor area only increases by say 15-20%.

It's like trying to converse with a badger at this point.

79% of these developments are for non-irish, experts, who I have quoted, say that they raise the cost of housing for everyone else.

That's it. And no matter where you hide, that will remain it.

Here, sure why not, one for the road...

79% of these developments are for non-irish people, experts, who I have quoted, say that they raise the cost of housing for everyone else.

Hold on, there's always time for an encore...

79% of these developments are for non-irish people, experts, who I have quoted, state that they increase the cost of living for everyone else.

Still struggling? Maybe this will help...

79% of these developments are for non-irish people, experts, who I have quoted, state that they increase the cost of living for everyone else.

What's that? You don't quite yet it? Check this out...

Being ignorant of reality doesn't negate reality. For example,

You're talking about conspiracies, well let me counter them with some facts. Like this...

No matter the show you put on, the info is drilling into your brain. Good :)

Often, quite often, the tax payer funds what the public individual cannot. Meeting demand by that manner is a awful deal. Taking from the bottom to feed the top, eventually the bottom will fall out.

Its frustrating the way some will say, 'but we need housing now!' to excuse the tax payer getting rode.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We started off with stopping of building social housing ,and then banned bedsit accommodation , even though a lot of single and workingolder people were happy to live in them ,

Skip ahead a few years, social housing is coming back on line ,coliving was coming online only to be banned and everyone complaining about homeless figures are blocking all and any new builds , unless they are near 100% social housing , with a few affordable housing units thrown in ,

We can't have high rises despite every other European countries having them ,we can't have families living in apartments it's not fair on them and you can't raise a family in an apartment despite families living in and raising families in apartments in Europe ,

Not everyone wants or needs 3/4 bed with from and back gardens or can afford them but sf and others seems to be the only thing they want for everyone , meanwhile rent arrears in social housing are skyrocketing and know one seems to A explain why and B how they are planning to clear 100+ million arrears and unpaid rents in social housing estates

It is all the result of a coordinated effort to increase housing costs.

Sell off social housing, open it up to the world's population.

Get rid of bedsits.

Increase demand by facilitating the arrival of extra people into the country every year despite a housing crisis every year.

Allow vulture funds to buy swathes of property with insanely good conditions attached, have them tripping over themselves to get in on the bargain of the century.

Guarantee to rent the places back off vulture funds at nice high prices. Locked in profit.

Tell everyone we "need more supply", but the part they whisper at the end is "to sell!"

In come the likes of the student accommodation developments, aimed squarely at wealthy foreign parents, more price pressure.

The heads of government housing agencies jumping ship to private vulture funds, nothing strange there at all.

And more, and more.

This whole situation is one gigantic, unbelievably out-of-control con job.

It's all "funded" by poor eejits paying exorbitant rent and shackling artificially high mortgages around their necks.

Robbery. And look at the pushback! People out protesting about their cats gender pronouns instead, and then you realise just how stupid we all look.

Sometimes you get what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In the interest of fairness and given the thread title explicitly targeting the opposition - by a poster known for sifting through the proverbial wheelie bins of any opposition TD - I assume he'll have strong words about government ministers (one FG and one Green) at exactly the same caper in the same constituency a few months ago - screaming their opposition to student units.

Any second now I'm sure...

Very interesting indeed. Were some politicians object based on affordability, these people are against the height and density alone.

I expect there'll be a 'nothing to see here' followed by a deflection elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Absolutely.

Not one political party has any interest in solving this housing issue.

Nice little dig at my username though, reminds me of my 5 year old and her friends, thanks😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Crazy stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Indefensible nimbyism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Complaining about the density and height of 3-7 storey buildings is, indeed, utterly farcical. No matter who does it. But it appears to be everyone at it.

If this is the case, why keep your opprobrium in reserve for the opposition and opposition alone? If they're all at it (and they all are to a greater or lesser extent), shouldn't your thread title reflect that?

Well no.

The thread title reflects the specific article I linked.

All well and good, but you'll have to forgive me for observing you're slow out of the starting blocks to start a thread when FG's Emer Higgins objected to a massive housing development in her constituency, or as pointed out in this thread, Josepha Madigan objected to a very similar student-specific complex a few months ago.

This thread isn't making a general point about cynical politicians attempting to halt housing developments to curry favour with who they feel are reliable voters (which is an acknowledged problem), it's framing it as if it's only the opposition at it - which is far from the case.

I didn't know about them until it was brought up in this thread.

Which I commented on saying they are just as bad.

Anyway it's more that boys and the opposition constantly blame the government for lack of housing getting built.

I was pointing out the irony.

You didn't know that FG TDs and Ministers are often enthusiastic objectors to housing developments? Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We all know it's an issue across the entire political spectrum. Not one political party is immune to this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Isolated cases shouldn't lead to a thread in and of themselves.

What makes the opposition different is that this appears to be a concerted campaign by the opposition to object to every single housing development in order to frustrate the building of houses for ordinary Irish people. If you could find me a large-scale housing development in Dublin that didn't have an objection from one of the small parties or Sinn Fein, I would be amazed.

Isolated cases? I just spat out my earl grey in amusement. Balderdash. FG reps along with FF have a form book for housing objection as long and as storied as any set of opposition politicians you care to mention.

You're showing this thread up for what it is. An inveterate government cheerleader having a pop at opposition for behaviour that his party engages in on the regular. And the likely lads are along to defend it.

We've all read this book before. Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Again, do you have a single example of a large-scale development which was not opposed by the opposition?

Of course there are examples from the government side as well. They wouldn't be doing their jobs and they would be rightly criticised if they didn't object now and again to the worst of the planning applications. However, that is far different to the systemic and systematic campaign waged by the opposition parties against all and every development.

Then all you have is a pop at me.

Advertisement