Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish genealogy problem

• 04-11-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have an Irish genealogy problem is as follows. I want to find the marriage record and other information about the origins of my ancestors James Kelly and Margaret Crosby. I believe they were married about 1808, possibly in Carlow. Of their seven known children, three were baptized at Assumption Cathedral (RC) in Carlow Town between 1809 and 1825. At one time the family lived on Castle Street in Carlow Town. My James may have been the son of another James who lived on Castle Street and who was murdered in 1770. According to my James' burial and census records he was born about 1771 - 1781. According to my Margaret's burial and census records she was born about 1788 - 1798. James is variously described as being a farmer, carpenter, and wheelwright. About 1826 the family emigrated to Québec. There they settled with other Irish people in an area north of Montréal having such Irish place names as Kildare, Wexford, and Kilkenny. I am told it might be helpful to search in churches and towns that were close to Carlow Town in the 1810 - 1820 time frame, but I don't know how to do that. Many thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunately I suspect you're looking for something that no longer exists.

There are relatively few RC records that early - Carlow Town itself has very early records but very gappy, that I assume you've seen based on what you have. They have a gap in marriage records for your required time - I'd expect the marriage was actually there.

From there, you'll see the adjoining parishes though. Some have records that old but with gaps at the same time. Castledermot does have coverage of that time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just to echo what L1011 said, I suspect you may not be able to find this marriage record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement