Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBS Sky BB 30 a month with 50 cashback

• 04-11-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭

One big switch doing Sky BB up to 500Mb FTTH, 12 month contract with 50 cashback, 30 a month. Seems great deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

(details below copied from their website)

https://onebigswitch.ie/campaigns/obsie-2110-broadband-sky/plans/results

Ireland's CHEAPEST Broadband

€30 per month for broadband for 12 months and €60 thereafter

Additional €50 cashback - One Big Switch exclusive

Unlimited broadband up to 500MB FTTH

Unlimited off-peak calls to Irish landlines. T&Cs apply

Free installation

Sky TV add-on available

Sky Broadband €30 a month for 12 months

Availability subject to locations. New customers for 12 months. Standard pricing applies when outside minimum term (from €60pm). No set-up fees apply. Minimum term and further terms apply. For more info on our broadband products see sky.ie/speeds.

The way in which we collect, use and disclose your information is set out in our Privacy Policy. By submitting your details you agree to these terms.

OBS People Power Holdings Limited, trading as "One Big Switch" is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Details on its authorisations are available in our Terms of Business. OneBigSwitch is not regulated for the purposes of the Big Bank Switch, the Big Energy Switch, or for the purposes of any telecommunications campaigns which it may run.

One Big Switch is a private company registered in Ireland. Company number: 536764. Registered office: Behan House, 10 Lower Mount Street, Dublin, 2, Ireland.

One Big Switch earns a commission when a One Big Switch member takes up a special offer.

The website suggests you call 0818 762 858 to "save now!"

9AM-7PM Mon-Fri

9AM-530PM Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 30 adventures

I signed up with the same deal with vodafone, ended up on hold for 1 hour, very difficult to communicate with the guy, was told the engineer would come but it was canceled 4 times, spent ages on hold to some person, enedup up staying with EIR, anyone have good experience with sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm out of contract next week with PURE (who had no interest in keeping me) so I'm only switching SIRO providers hence I'll only get my router in post, no engineer.

Does anyone have the sky hub? Does it have gigabit ports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Had the exact same problem with Voda, couldn't understand the guy on the phone at all due to a combination of accent and terrible phone line despite him ringing me back three times to try correct it. I wasted half a day trying to complete it but in the end lost faith that their tech support would not be equally dreadful and stayed with Eir too.

Is the Sky TV addon internet based TV or satellite? Is the Sky modem decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone know if 1Gb is available through this deal too? Albeit for extra ofc

• Advertisement

I currently have 1Gb and going to 500Mb, You'd want very specific needs to require 1Gb TBH. I am a heavy user household and 500Mb is far more than sufficient for all the users and devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's 1Gb with pure. Yes, get 950 wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

@TheDriver Signed up this morning, thanks for the alert!

Did you agree a transfer date? I'm wondering do I have to wait until my contract ends next week before ringing.

How do I get the cashback? I assume on your bill

• Advertisement

11/11 for the transfer from Vodafone, which is fine as I’m out of contract since the 2nd. The cashback is going to be posted out as a voucher. I’m not too sure how that’s going to work 😁 we’ll have to see.

A voucher for what?

Did you need a UAN or anything?

Post edited by TheDriver on

Yes gave them the UAN and CRN from a Vodafone bill and as I said I’ll wait to see what is involved with the voucher. I’m not too fussed about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I have signed up 2 weeks ago. It is not a voucher, it is pre-paid MasterCard.

I have used it in Aldi and Tesco (as contactless), it can be used online too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ooter

my contract with eir is up on the 25th of this month, am I right in saying I don't have to give them any notice to cancel if I arrange to switch over to sky after that date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Spn744

Usually you have to give 30 days notice to your current provider but I can’t know for sure because it will be in your contract. I’d call them to find out and give your notice there if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

With FTTH it's just a like transfer so no notice period applies. If you cancel and give 30 days notice you'll need an engineer out. We just switched to Pure from VF a few months back and it was easy as a quick call, no downtime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'd disagree with you there. I'd definitely feel a difference with Xbox downloads for example. Regularly get 900Mb+ downloading games via ethernet so dropping to 500Mb would be a bit miss.

I'll ring Sky tomorrow and ask. Just thought someone here might have gotten 1Gb with them through OBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Wait wait...I don't have FTTH just standard ADSL 100MB broadband. I gave Eir the 30 days notice literally 30 days before the end of my contract as it used to always be the case that if you didn't they'd hit you with another bill.

Are you telling me now that it's no longer the case and that I could have simply waited until my contract expired and could have gotten Sky to activate it without any downtime?

After I gave my 30 days notice I called Sky, the switch to Sky on my new contract is the 9th and my Eir contract was to end on the 10th - what happens instead is that my internet is completely shut off on the 5th and here I am twiddling my thumbs until I get the Sky Box.

I also hope there isn't a need for an engineer to call out. We're doing WFH.

If you can get FTTH, then yes an engineer will need to come out.

If you were changing to ADSL from sky, then there is a changing procedure that you'd inform eir about. I still think eir require 30 days notice

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat, ADSL 100MB. I've tried to time it so that my next bill from Vodafone will be a full and final bill, no partial or pro rata bills hopefully.

On the need for an engineer the SKY CSR told me that the router would be posted out and the service would go live on the 11/11 no need for an engineer. The Vodafone service would simply stop working and all that is needed is to plug in the SKY router to continue with the service. I have a backup 4g router so I am not too worried about a small gap.

I'll keep you updated.

I wish there was a decent table somewhere of who requires notice to leave and who doesn't.

PURE don't require any notice, billing stops once service is transferred away.

Sky don't seem to require it. Neither do VF but unconfirmed.

Rural wifi want 30days.

Eir want 30 days notice.

I gave Eir my 30 days notice on the 2nd of the month i was leaving them no matter what even though I had not looked at anyone else for broadband, my broadband with them ends on the 2nd of December.

My broadband comes in via the the phone line and my take on this sky one is that it is siro and comes in on the esb is that right right?

Can I arrange for Sky to come in a few days early at the end of this month and get it all set up for siro which would need to be connected as new so I don't lose broadband. siro is available to my house.

Sorry for all the questions as the ADSL and FTHH thing confuses me.

ADSL is through an eir copper phone line. Many companies resell this.

Eir FTTH comes in on an Eir provided fibre line to the home. Many companies resell this.

SIRO FTTH comes in on a fibre line through ESB meter box. Again, many companies resell this.

I would be very cautious if I were you about your timelines. I was 5 weeks getting FTTH as they had to come back with another crew to get the fibre line in. I wouldn't be cancelling eir until you were more certain of that date. If you are merely changing to ADSL with sky, it's far more certain.

Have you checked your address in say sky's checker to see what's available at your property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

In my case - the next available day for engineer to come over to set up SIRO was in 10 days.

It took about 40 mins to set all up (I live in the apartment).

You need to check is your address available for SIRO - as TheDriver pointed out above.

If you already have optical cable in your house/apartment set up (with previous provider), it is just plug and play SKY box.

I originally thought that VF required the 30 days notice so I gave it. When I examined the T&C's more closely it seems that 30 days is on required if you are still in contract. It is not needed if you are out of contract.

Thank you both I will get onto Sky tomorrow then if it can take that long to get an engineer out. I checked my address and i am able to get siro so hopefully I can get that off sky then when i speak with them.

Its not just the time to get the engineer out, it's if there's an issue and they need a different crew.

Bear in mind there's drilling etc to be done, i'd recommend you watch the video on SIRO website

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Just in case anyone is in the same position. I was with Vodafone for €30 a month but went out of contract today. I called them and they initially wanted €45 but transferred me to the loyalty team who agreed to keep it to €30 for the next 12 months. The Sky deal and Eir are slightly better but for the hassle of changing, I was happy to renew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 marros10

Took this deal today. Just out of contract with Eir who I was with for years. Total with BB & TV was e50 (plus add ons I stuck on after) which was pretty much equivalent to Eir. Never had sky before but immediately impressed with the sky go app, no of stations and content in comparison to Eir. BB will be taken over on Friday and TV install booked for next Tuesday so seems relatively quick.

Advertisement