Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resignation of AP 2 post

• 04-11-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what it required to resign from an AP2 post in primary school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Just write a letter of resignation to the Board(i.e address to Chairperson)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thank you. Do you have any idea how much notice I have to Give?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

I don't think you have to give any technically.

I would advise give a month to allow time for advertising and interviewing a replacement(unless school over quota from historical posts in which case the post is gone?). your conscience can be clear then and free from ruffling feathers(you will still have the same boss, and in teaching you can be stuck with same coworkers a long time!!)

just have any roles/responsibilities tidied up for handover and do it with a happy heart!!

Thanks again! Will give a month. Was only to give 2 weeks. Toxic school. There will be noone to fill the post. We have another one available and it has been advertised twice and no applications. So doubt there will be a handover. But life is short. More personal time for me!!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Are you sure there is no way to resolve the issue? To ask for a change?

What do you mean by a toxic school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Slightly similar situation re school but am using the position to bulk up my cv with the intention of moving on - I know permanent jobs in primary are like hens teeth but maybe that could be an option for you rather than resign ?

I've had the job for just over 2 years but have 14 years teaching experience. It's just not worth the hassle. Totally agree re the permanent situation and that's the only reason that I'm in the place. I have financial obligations and young children so am not in a position to give up my permanent position.

Principal is an awful leader, staff morale is on the floor. Bullying behaviour, constant micromanaging, they are nearing retirement age but nothing will change until they leave. Draining to say the least.

Im often amused by teachers who literally climb over their colleagues for these posts. There is easier money available out there.

Plus a lot of these posts are pure and utter bullshit.

An hour Grind once a week makes a B post.

I do appreciate people can be under pressure financially but often when you look close its their own decision making that drives them into that position. Not always but alot.

Sounds like you made the right choice. How many kids do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

In your situation, I wonder if you’re in a position to use the leverage you have, rather than resign the position. First of all, you are possibly in a position to stand up to the principal and tell him/her that you’re not going to be bullied and that you’ll do the job the way you think it should be done and you don’t care what he/she says.

Alternatively, you could tell him/her that you’re going to resign if he/she doesn’t leave you alone to do the job.

Either way, you seem to have leverage to use, rather than straight out quitting and I don’t see the benefit of resigning the AP2 unless you’re also resigning the teaching post too, if the school is that bad.

• Advertisement

I actually did just this today. Had a lengthy conversation about the entire situation but I honestly don't think anything will change but time will tell!

It's definitely not for financial gain I took this post. It works out around 6e a day. And the hassle and stress that go along with it is just not worth it...

Post edited by Sammy2012 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That must be a first in teaching, a post with no applicants. It must be a horrible work environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You shouldn't go for a post just for the money, it's a way to engage within the management structure of the school.

If you're only doing it for the money, then do grinds as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

You’re dead right, life is short. I too resigned a post & I’m sorry I didn’t do it sooner. They’re simply not worth the hassle. I see it as a lifestyle choice

But a huge amount of posts have nothing to do with the needs of the school. Most principals make decisions. Most staffs roll over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Too many teachers want the money from a post but don't want to do the duties. The reason postholders get the extra money is to complete the duties they are given. End of.

I see teachers who don't have posts who do loads throughout the school and are brilliant teachers, and on the other hand postholders who try their best to get away with doing as little as possible.

I don't know if this applies in the OP position and postholders can have a difficult time under a difficult principal. You could hold on until the principal retires and see how things are then. There should be a post holders meeting at the start of each year to organise the duties for the rest of the year.

What specific duties do you have as Ap2 that is too much of a burden to do?

Wow very presumptuous post!! Where did I say I was doing the post for money???? For 35e a week it definitely isn't worth it! I also have no problem with the duties asked of me as most of them I did well before I was a post holder. Small rural school so therefore a lot of things fall on the teachers themselves regardless of post or position. I work in a very difficult environment and for my own mental health I was going to distance myself from the principal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

It's a general observation from what I see in some schools and I'd stand over it.

What actually is the actual problem?

Is it that you can't get on with the principal or cannot handle the workload?

What actual things do you have to do?

Ap2 might not be a lot of money but at least it's recognition and some sort of financial reward vs teachers doing great work voluntarily but for no financial reward.

If you disagree with the principal or cannot get on them, perhaps stick it out until they retire?

Advertisement