Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audible or Google Books for Stories?

Options
  • 05-11-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

My 4.5 year old in the last while has discovered that Googe will tell her a story. Most of them are pulled from the Storynory website and are fine but limited. My partner asked for a Roald Dahl story and a preview of 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' was read. She absolutely enjoyed this so I bought the full story from the PlayStore.

Looking into it though, they are bloody expensive at €9.99, more than the physical book and the dedicated Google app looks fairly basic. I'm not sure how much effort they actually put into it. I'm wondering if I'd be better with an audible subscription and an Alexa device in the kitchen (where she listens the most).

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

The library now offers a service where you can rent ebooks and audio books online for free. In addition, if you want to get a physical copy of a book out on loan you can reserve it online and have it delivered to your local branch.

Worth checking out 😀

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Our library uses BorrowBox, I'm not sure if it's the same all over the country. You just need your library card number and PIN. I use it all the time. Kids books are great, but I also listen to my own books when I'm in the car.

The app is on your phone and if Alexa is set up as a Bluetooth speaker she can listen away!

The library is fantastic. My gang were/are avid readers. I wouldn't have been able to keep up with them if I had to buy all the books they've read!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Another big library fan here. My library (in DLR co co) gives you free access to borrow box and libby. Fabulous service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Mr Charlton Audio Stories on Spotify are excellent also

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

We've just finished Jacqueline Wilson's Hetty Feather and are on to next in the series, Sapphire Battersea. Car journeys are a lot more fun with BorrowBox 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement