Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Smoked Salmon.

• 06-11-2021 11:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the freezer, for Christmas. Did it last year and will not buy packaged salmon again most likely.

It turns out, obvs, nicely smoked with good flavour but......so moist. It's a different kettle of......😆😆 (I can't)

So......cure with salt in the fridge for a few days. I suspend mine if possible because a lot of moisture will come off the fish. I'll follow up with more pics / stages.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ha Ha....just looked up on my technique last year......cure for about 8 hours or so, not as above, for a few days😶. Wash off brine, dry, place in fridge overnight on a rack for further drying and tomorrow I'll cold smoke in a Weber for 8+hours.

Then, clingfilm in the fridge for a day or so to concentrate flavour before slicing and freezing.

Washed off salt last night and stored in the fridge overnight to further dry.

On for a smoke.....😈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How low can you keep the temperature? Doesn't it cook?

Doesn't cook at all.......just cold smoked for flavour.

Temp is ambient air temp, not ideal, should be in high teens but hey.....I never think of it in the summer.

Just off and wrapped but had to taste. It's fine. Mature smoke flavour, in fridge for a few days, sharpen up knife, slice and freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How do you create smoke in a kettle bbq without heat?

Looks fantastic, btw.

See the "doo daa" above in post#3, cold smoke burner. Light the dust at the start of the "Maze".

Burns / smoulders a specific type of wood dust......would last over 10 hours. put mine out after about 8 hours and still a few hours of smoking left if needed.

Sliced and for the freezer.

Advertisement