Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New dog dilemma

• 06-11-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Lads I have a question for anyone who has owned pointing/ setting breeds. I have always had springers and I couldn't fault them but with my dog nearing retirement as this will be her last season I would think with her nearly 12 it's time to pick up a pup. I'm toying with the idea of getting a pointing/ setting breed instead of a springer.

For people who have had both pointing dogs and spaniels is there much of a difference is training, temperament etc.?

Im living in North cork so alot of the ground I hunt would be a mix of stubbles, woodland and ditches in green fields. I'm wondering are pointing/setting breads seen as all rounders the same way as springers are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

We had German and English pointers, as well as setters down through the years. Germans are more of an all rounder, compared to the others, although you can get the odd English pointer/ setter breeds that make good all rounders.

I really like a good German pointer. Good on land and water. Good retriever, and is not afraid of heavy cover

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Thanks Eddie, it's funny that you say you really like the German pointer because that's exactly the breed I'm most keen on. Do you know if there's much of a difference between the wire and smooth hair German pointer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Other might have a different opinion, but for me, the wire haired pointers tend to be used more for wildfowling, and the short hair more for pheasants. Saying that, a good one of either breed, can be a great dog in any situation. Personally, my father had a short-haired bitch, that was the best all rounder I've ever seen. I could never reproduce his nack of breeding top gun dogs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Advertisement