Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Julia Devaney tapes and the Tuam Children's Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The church committed atrocities off their own back. Moving child molesters around wasn't a failing of society. They chose power,money and influence over the children and women in their care kinda sums up the value of their "morals".

My ancestors were part of a society that was beholden to the church, thankfully those days are gone, most of us are no longer under the boot of the church.

I don't think Gatling wishes to address the fact he made up the figure of thousands and he seems to not give a **** about the unknown burial site/s of 800 children. Instead it's just claiming anti RCC agenda even though the church isn't denying it...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

I'm just waiting for someone to claim the nuns neglected and abused those babies in self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Again I'm going by what was reported in the media and you already know this ,

But Sure make up more shite ,

Weirdly you haven't produced any article that mentioned "thousands"... So at the moment, it looks like you're making an entirely unsubstantiated claim and coming across as pretty uninformed on the story to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Burial records were not a statuary requirement. It really is a non issue because burial is vastly less important as registering a death. No one is keeping track if you scatter ashes nowadays. There are many things that could be point out as genuine issues, you could ask why are the Tuam death records all signed by Bina Rabitte and not a doctor or even a sister.

Some one here mentioned about county homes. They were nearly always worse than privately run religious homes. There is one exception which is Bessboro. The Mother and Baby Report actually praises the medical care at many mother and baby homes and argues it was better than in rural areas until the 1950s. There are many aspects of these places that is not scandalous. What is scandalous was very poor medical care during the war years at Tuam, Bessbough and a few other locations and lack of intervention by the appointed medical team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Find just one article (you should be able to find lots if this is true)

You keep making a claim which is false.Now its possible you made that claim in error in which case then just say so ,it's OK to being wrong about things.

It's seems to me you made a dumb claim,it's been pointed out to you by several posters that it's horseshit and you're doing the cowardly head in the sand double down.

Be a grown up and admit you were talking shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Deeec

I don't think Catherine Corless is wrong in her findings but to bring it to completion she needs to stand aside and let some independent team investigate fully.

I think Catherine is on a personal mission because her own mother was born illegitimate and suffered because of it. I did originally think Catherine just had a general interest in the Tuam home - when I heard the story of her mother I no longer think Catherine is impartial. She now needs to hand this investigation over to someone else.

I don't agree with everything the OP said but I do agree that Catherine may have been selective about what quotes she took from Julia Devanney. It would be great to hear the full tape.

What needs to be investigated is why the deaths were so high - this is the real issue here. As regards burial records - alot of churches don't even have records of who is buried in their churchyards. I'm not sure anyone is going to find where all these kids were buried so we can't say for sure that they were not given a proper burial.

Are the remains of the children found in the septic tank going to be tested for DNA to try and establish who they are and if they were children from the home. I know it's a big task but surely this would have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Exactly what should she stand aside from? It's been 7 years, has there been an investigation that's been missed? I don't think so, it's endless waffle from the state. As long as she continues to bring media attention to the inactivity, she's doing those babies a service and we should all be grateful.

As for an independent investigation, if you look at the report produced after such great length, I think you'll see just how poorly it would be done. Now, if the UN ran the investigation and brought in the forensic resources necessary, maybe. But one run by the government of Ireland will be, effectively, one run by the RCC and find nothing, of course. And take forever to do so.

Catherine should be applauded for the work she has done ( she has done great work) but I think you are missing the point I am making - in that she has been personally tainted by what happened her mother. For me once I heard that her own mother was illegitimate it put a different slant on Catherines crusade. I think to find the true story some other ( impartial) party needs to take over. ( This doesn't have to be ran by government).

I also think publishing her new book was a big mistake - for many she has lost some credibility.

• Advertisement

She's recently won another honor for her work. Trying to cast aspersions on her motivations doesn't reflect well on you. Her work is accurate and as has been stated here and elsewhere not been rebutted in any scientific way.

She's done an enormous service to Ireland. It's no surprise the RCC defenders here look to any opportunity to attack her, they're just following orders and none of the boardsies attacking her have a prayer of achieving as much as she's done in her life, in theirs.

OMG - I am not casting any aspersions on Catherines work- I am saying she done great work - she has been diligent throughout. All I am saying is that she may be biased in how she approaches this and her findings. Surely you can see this yourself - any investigation should be done by someone with impartial views.

*If she wants to achieve the outcome she wants she needs to step back. She could still be involved in the background but not take the lead.

Post edited by Deeec on

Umm, where is she leading an investigation right now? Last we saw in that independent article posted here was an osteoarchaeologist saying more needed to be done as this is a very long and time consuming process. That's the only investigation currently going on. There are plenty of investigations that CAN happen, like, around the testimony for the report, disinterring and preserving the septic tank catacombs, DNA sequencing if possible to find surviving relatives, burial certificates, as well as other M&B homes (Bessborough) where to my knowledge nothing has happened other than preventing the land going for development. So, what investigation do you think she should recuse herself from?

I dont think your reading my posts at all. I dont want to discuss this any further with you - your missing the point Im making completely and going off on a tangent.

It's because certain posters are being dicks if they think you tried to challenge their narrative so now it's attack your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Lol 😂🤣😂

Face it the narrative is being threatened and several people don't like it ,

And the excuse oh your of the Roman Catholic church in Ireland , utter nonsense ,do you expect everyone to only agree with your opinion ,not going to happen pal ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

the narrative hasn't been threatened. you posted a made up number and are now throwing your toys out of the pram because you were challenged on it.

No I didn't .

Again I was going off media reports and claims by so called witnesses ,I haven't been challenged at all , oh you told a lie about this person ,show me where I said any about this person . ehhhh , ehhhh, ehhhh, your pro Roman Catholic church 🤣🤣🤣 yeah no ,

You made a claim about a certain YouTube channel ,no I did not I mentioned no YouTube channel or specific individual.

Surprise , surprise 👏👏👏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Gatling, you are on the PUP fraud thread criticising people for not providing evidence for their claims. And here you are doing the same thing.

As you keep saying it was the media narrative that there were 'thousands' of bodies, can you please provide some evidence of this media narrative?

Can ypu pleas practice what you preach? Because so far, to use your own words, 'you have provided zero evidence of this claim , Zero.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I doubt I have ever seen someone make a fool of themselves on Boards as much as you have. Well done!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I haven't made any claims about a youtube channel. perhaps you read that the same place you read about the thousands of babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I believe they are going to try and sequence mitochondrial DNA using NGS. It is a major task, as they have to validate the methods first and then begin the actual sequencing. I imagine it will take a long time to work through, as the DNA will need to be extracted from the bones, and each individual fragment will need to be sequenced.

We've known about the missing 796 children since 2014. That's 7 years and really there has been very little progress in identifying the children and in providing closure for the survivors who feel their child, their brother, their sister is among the bodies buried inappropriately. Those children have yet to receive a proper burial. The government have been dragging their heels and without amazing women like Catherine Corless and Maeve O'Rourke and Catherine Connolly, there would be nothing done. Do you think the process would take so long in any other country?

Once again I not criticising what Catherine has achieved. You said in your post yourself that it has been 7 years of little progress. Do you not think maybe it's time for someone else to give it the push it needs to get properly investigated and the these poor children given a proper burial. I don't think Catherine is strong enough to challenge the government. That doesn't take away from the excellent work Catherine has done though.

I don't to be honest. I think she wants to see it through and I respect that. I think Dr. Maeve O'Rourke is also doing amazing work from a human rights abuses perspective.

Who else would you suggest? The relevant ministers are excuse merchants including O'Gorman.

The UN. It's beyond international embarrassment at this point. FFS mass graves not being investigated when it'd be trivially easy to do. Sad state of affairs but it's what we've been indoctrinated to take in this country

Edit: I'd be interested in @Deeec answer to this question.

Post edited by Igotadose on

It was quoted on here that I mentioned YouTube and lieing about the lady several others keep going on about ,

Never mentioned YouTube or anyone in particular .

😴

• Advertisement

Gatling, you are on the PUP fraud thread

Yes I'm posting in numerous thread .

Advertisement